WSR 02-06-039


[ Filed February 27, 2002, 10:47 a.m. ]



The Washington Attorney General issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the Attorney General's Office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest by March 27, 2002. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the Attorney General's Office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested, information about the Attorney General's Opinion process, information on how to submit your comments, and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The Attorney General's Office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s):

02-02-05 Request by Arthur D. Curtis
Clark County Prosecuting Attorney

1. If a person is convicted of a misdemeanor conviction that prohibits the ownership or possession of firearms, can these rights be restored pursuant to RCW 9.95.200, et seq. RCW 9.41.040, and/or RCW 9.96?

2. If a person is convicted of a Class A felony, or one of the enumerated crimes listed in RCW 9.41.040(4), can a court ever restore his or her rights to possess firearms? If the answer is no, can a person convicted of one of these crimes ever get their rights restored through non-judicial procedures? If so, when can a court restore such a person's rights?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office