Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 03-04-021.
Title of Rule: WAC 180-82A-206 Endorsement program approval and 180-82A-215 Implementation policies.
Purpose: Amendments to these rules will revise the procedures by which college/universities seek approval for their competency-based endorsement programs and will allow individuals enrolled in endorsement programs prior to August 31, 2005, to meet endorsement requirements specified in chapter 180-82 WAC.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Summary: See Purpose above.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: See Purpose above.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Larry Davis, State Board of Education, Olympia, (360) 725-6024.
Name of Proponent: State Board of Education.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: See Purpose above.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See Purpose above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not applicable.
RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption. Not applicable.
Hearing Location: Fife School District Administration Building, 5802 20th Street East, Tacoma, WA 98424-2000, on June 20, 2003, at 8:30 a.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Laura Moore by June 6, 2003, TDD (360) 664-3631 or (360) 725-6027.
Submit Written Comments to: Rules Coordinator, State Board of Education, P.O. Box 47206, Olympia, WA 98504-7206, fax (360) 586-2357, by June 6, 2003.
Date of Intended Adoption: June 20, 2003.
April 7, 2003
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 02-04-013, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02)
WAC 180-82A-206 Endorsement program approval. (1) The state board of education shall approve endorsement programs at Washington colleges and universities pursuant to the requirements of this chapter. Only colleges and universities with state board of education approved residency certificate teacher preparation programs are eligible to apply for approval to offer endorsement programs.
(2) The state board of education will establish performance/competency criteria for obtaining an endorsement. Revision in adopted endorsement competencies may occur only as approved by the state board.
(3) The superintendent of public instruction will publish, and make available, competencies for all endorsement areas identified in chapter 180-82A WAC.
(4) By August 31, 2003, each college or university
desiring to establish an endorsement program shall ((
with the following:
(a) Identification of opportunities for candidate to develop the capacity to demonstrate each competency;
(b))) submit a timeline to meet the following requirements for full approval by August 31, 2004:
(a) Identification of strategies that will be used to
assess candidates' capacity/performance ((
on each competency))
related to the competencies;
(c))) (b) A description of evidences that candidates
will provide to document (( candidates')) their positive impact
on student learning in the (( respective)) endorsement area;
(d))) (c) A description of the (( process)) assessment
system by which (( summaries of candidates' assessment data,
relative to performance on each competency, will be compiled))
candidate performance, relative to the competencies, will be
aggregated, analyzed, and used for program improvement.
(5) The state board of education shall approve endorsement programs for a maximum of five years. Each institution shall submit endorsement programs for review when requested by the state board of education to ensure that the endorsement programs meet the competencies and to provide assessment data relative to candidate performance.
(6) The state board of education shall determine the schedule and process for endorsement program reviews.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410 RCW and RCW 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-013, § 180-82A-206, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02.]
(2) Teachers shall be required to obtain a minimum of one endorsement.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 28A.410 RCW and RCW 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-013, § 180-82A-215, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02.]