PREPROPOSAL STATEMENT OF INQUIRY
Subject of Possible Rule Making: Updating definition of alternative learning methods, WAC 495A-121-011; updating prohibited student conduct, WAC 495A-121-041; and updating disciplinary student sanctions, WAC 495A-121-044.
WAC 495A-121-011 Definitions.
(3) "College" shall mean Bates Technical College, which includes the main campus, extension centers, and off-campus classes and activities, including alternative learning methods distributed by web, tape, television or other alternative means.
(5) "College facilities" shall mean and include any or all computer systems/networks or extension/alternative sites or real property controlled or operated by the college and shall include all buildings and appurtenances affixed thereon or attached thereto.
WAC 495A-121-041 Prohibited conduct.
(22) Violation of any computer use policies in effect on campus as well as conduct that violates the college's property rights with respect to computing resources including, but not limited to: (i) Using the Internet for purposes other than college-approved activities.
WAC 495A-121-044 Disciplinary sanctions.
(5) "Discretionary sanctions" may include, but are not limited to, restricted computer systems/network access, work assignments, service to college or community, mandatory class/workshop attendance or other discretionary assignments, such as educational interventions intended as learning experiences.
(6) "Loss of privileges" shall mean loss of specific college privileges for a specified period of time. These may include, but are not limited to computer/Internet access, student activities or club participation.
Statutes Authorizing the Agency to Adopt Rules on this Subject: RCW 28B.50.140.
Reasons Why Rules on this Subject may be Needed and What They Might Accomplish: The purpose of this rule making is to (i) amend student rights and responsibilities to include alternative means of learning and technological advances as part of the definition of "college"; to include computer systems/networks or extension sites as part of the definition of "college facilities"; (ii) to include a new category of prohibited conduct concerning internet usage; (iii) to include a new category of disciplinary sanctions of "restricted computer systems/network access"; and (iv) to include a new category of loss of privilege of "computer/internet access."
Other Federal and State Agencies that Regulate this Subject and the Process Coordinating the Rule with These Agencies: Bates will notify the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges of this proposed change.
Process for Developing New Rule: Agency study; and modified negotiated rule making.
Interested parties can participate in the decision to adopt the new rule and formulation of the proposed rule before publication by contacting Amy Goings at (253) 680-7102 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The public may also participate by providing written comments or giving oral testimony after these rule changes are proposed during the public hearing process.
Interested parties can participate in the decision to adopt the new rule and formulation of the proposed rule before publication by contacting Gwen Sailer, Student Services, Bates Technical College, 1101 South Yakima Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98405, phone (253) 680-7000, fax (253) 680-7043.
Date and Location of Public Meeting: On January 15, 2004, at 3:00 p.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Amy Goings no later than ten days before the hearing date, TTY 253-680-7045 or (253) 680-7102.
December 5, 2003
Amy M. Goings
Director of Development