Purpose: The purpose of the amendment to this rule is to allow individuals whose initial certificate expired after August 31, 2000, but who met requirements for renewal or for continuing certificate, but did not apply prior to the expiration date, to apply once for a renewal or the continuing certificate by paying a $100 late fee in addition to the certificate fee.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 180-79A-123.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: March 16, 2005.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 00-09-048, filed 4/14/00, effective 5/15/00)
WAC 180-79A-123 Certificates -- Previous standards. (1) Certificates issued under previous standards which were issued for a specific term shall continue to be effective for that term.
(2) Certificates issued under previous standards which were issued for an indefinite period shall continue to be in effect.
(3) All persons who hold any standard teacher, administrator, or specialized personnel certificate issued under previous standards of the state board of education shall be issued a continuing certificate at such time as it is necessary for them to reissue a standard certificate or on application and payment of the fee as specified in WAC 180-79A-130.
(4) Any person who holds a provisional principal's or provisional superintendent's certificate under previous standards of the state board of education shall be issued upon application, including payment of applicable fees, continuing administrative for the appropriate role and such certificates shall be subject to the continuing education requirements of chapter 180-85 WAC.
(5) Any person holding a provisional certificate as a school nurse under provisions of chapter 180-84 WAC shall be granted a continuing certificate.
(6) All persons who hold a valid initial certificate granted under previous standards of the state board of education shall be authorized to meet requirements for continuing certification as set forth in the relevant previous standards except as noted below in subsection (7) of this section.
(7) Any person with a valid initial teacher's certificate granted under previous standards of the state board of education may renew that certificate once after August 31, 2000. The individual shall meet requirements for and apply for the continuing certificate by the expiration date on the renewed certificate or meet requirements for the residency certificate for further certification: Provided, That any person who qualified for initial renewal or continuing certificate under the provisions of WAC 180-79A-250(1) prior to their expiration date, but whose initial certificate expired after August 31, 2000, because they applied for certification too late, may apply once for such renewal or continuing certificate and will be issued such certificate.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 00-09-048, § 180-79A-123, filed 4/14/00, effective 5/15/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) and (2), 28A.410.010 and 28A.150.220(4). 99-01-174, § 180-79A-123, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99.]