WSR 05-08-120



(Economic Services Administration)

[ Filed April 5, 2005, 4:18 p.m. ]

Original Notice.

Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 04-21-074.

Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 388-418-0007 When do I have to report changes in my circumstances?

Hearing Location(s): Blake Office Park East (behind Goodyear Courtesy Tire), Rose Room, 4500 10th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA, on May 10, 2005, at 10:00 a.m.

Date of Intended Adoption: No earlier than May 11, 2005.

Submit Written Comments to: DSHS Rules Coordinator, P.O. Box 45850, Olympia, WA 98504, delivery 4500 10th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA, e-mail, fax (360) 664-6185, by 5:00 p.m., May 10, 2005.

Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Andy Fernando, DSHS Rules Coordinator, by May 6, 2005, TTY (360) 664-6178 or (360) 664-6094.

Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: WAC 388-418-0007 explains how much time a person has to report a change of circumstances. This proposal amends WAC 388-418-0007 to reflect department policy regarding when clients must report a change in circumstances and to update a reference in the rule.

Reasons Supporting Proposal: The changes are necessary to reflect department policy on when changes must be reported to the department.

Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090.

Statute Being Implemented: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.08.090.

Rule is necessary because of federal law, Title 7 C.F.R. 273.12.

Name of Proponent: Department of Social and Health Services, governmental.

Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: John Camp, 1009 College S.E., Lacey, WA 98504, (360) 725-4616.

No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. The proposed rules do not have an economic impact on small businesses, they only affect DSHS clients by establishing how long clients have to report a change in circumstances for Basic Food, cash, and medical programs.

A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328. These amendments are exempt as allowed under RCW 34.05.328 (5)(b)(vii) which states in-part, "[t]his section does not apply to....rules of the department of social and health services relating only to client medical or financial eligibility and rules concerning liability for care of dependents." This rule filing adopts federal reporting requirements for the food stamp program as set in the Code of Federal Regulations 7 C.F.R. 273.12 and adopts reporting requirements for clients receiving cash or medical assistance.

March 30, 2005

Andy Fernando, Manager

Rules and Policies Assistance Unit

AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 04-19-134, filed 9/21/04, effective 10/1/04)

WAC 388-418-0007   When do I have to report changes in my circumstances?   (1) If your household has a change of circumstances you are not required to report under WAC 388-418-0005, you do not need to contact the department about this change. If you tell us about this change, we take action based on the new information. This includes:

(a) Requesting additional information we need to determine your eligibility and benefits under WAC 388-490-0005;

(b) Increasing your benefits when we have proof of a change that makes you eligible for more benefits; or

(c) Reducing or terminating your benefits based on the change.

(2) If you are applying for benefits and have had a change:

(a) After the date you applied but before your interview, you must report the change at the time of your interview; or

(b) After you have been interviewed, you must report changes required to be reported by someone receiving benefits as described under WAC 388-418-0005. You must report this change by the tenth day of the month following the month the change happened.

(3) If you receive cash assistance, medical, or Basic Food, you must report changes required under WAC 388-418-0005 by the tenth day of the month following the month the change happened.

(4) For a change in income, the date a change happened is the date you receive income based on this change. For example, the date of your first paycheck for a new job, or the date of a paycheck showing a change in your wage or salary.

(5) If we require you to complete a six-month report, you must complete the report to inform us of your circumstances as described under WAC ((388-418-0010)) 388-418-0011 in order to keep getting benefits.

(6) If you get TANF/SFA, and you learn that a child in your assistance unit (AU) will be gone from your home longer than ninety days, you must report this information to us within five calendar days from the date you learn this information. If you do not report this within five days, the child's caretaker is not eligible for cash benefits for one month. We continue to budget the ineligible person's countable income as described in WAC 388-450-0162 while determining the benefits for the remaining people in the AU.

(7) If you report changes late, you may get the wrong amount or wrong type of benefits. If you get more benefits than you are eligible for, you may have to pay them back as described in chapter 388-410 WAC.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, and 2004 c 54. 04-19-134, 388-418-0007, filed 9/21/04, effective 10/1/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510. 03-21-028, 388-418-0007, filed 10/7/03, effective 11/1/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and 74.04.510. 01-11-109, 388-418-0007, filed 5/21/01, effective 7/1/01.]

Washington State Code Reviser's Office