RULES OF COURT
|IN THE MATTER OF THE ADOPTION OF THE AMENDMENT TO ELC 7.2||)
Now, therefore, it is hereby
(a) That the amendment as attached hereto is adopted.
(b) That pursuant to the emergency provisions of GR 9(j)(1), the amendment will be published expeditiously and become effective upon publication.
DATED at Olympia, Washington this 1st day of December 2005.
| Alexander, C.J.
| C. Johnson, J.
|| Chambers, J.
| Madsen, J.
|| Owens, J.
| Sanders, J.
|| Fairhurst, J.
| Bridge, J.
|| J. M. Johnson, J.
INTERIM SUSPENSION IN OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES
(1) Petition. A petition to the Court under this rule must set forth the acts of the lawyer constituting grounds for suspension, and if filed under subsection (a)(2) must include a copy of the Board's decision. The petition may be supported by documents or affidavits. The Association must serve the petition by mail on the day of filing. In addition, a copy of the petition must be personally served on the lawyer no later than the date of service of the show cause order.
(2) Show Cause Order. Upon filing of the petition, the
Chief Justice orders the lawyer to appear before the Court on
a date set by the Chief Justice, and to show cause why the
petition for suspension should not be granted. Disciplinary
counsel must have a copy of the order to show cause personally
served on the lawyer at least
five ten days before the
scheduled show cause hearing. Subsection (b)(5) notification
requirements must be included in the show cause order.
(3) Answer to Petition. The lawyer may answer the petition. An answer may be supported by documents or affidavits. Failure to answer does not result in default or waive the right to appear at the show cause hearing.
(4) Filing of Answer. A copy of any answer must be filed
with both the Court and disciplinary counsel by the date
specified in the show cause order, which will be at least
three five days before the scheduled show cause hearing.
(5) Notification. The lawyer must inform the court no less than 7 days prior to the show cause hearing whether the lawyer will appear for the show cause hearing, or the hearing will be stricken and the Court will decide the matter without oral argument.
(5) (6) Application of Other Rules. If the Court enters
an order suspending the lawyer, the rules relating to
suspended lawyers, including title 14, apply.
Reviser's note: The brackets and enclosed material in the text of the above section occurred in the copy filed by the agency and appear in the Register pursuant to the requirements of RCW 34.08.040.
Reviser's note: The typographical errors in the above material occurred in the copy filed by the State Supreme Court and appear in the Register pursuant to the requirements of RCW 34.08.040.