Effective Date of Rule: Immediately.
Purpose: To reserve Section 1460 of the Washington State Energy Code, WAC 51-11-1460, to suspend requirements for cold storage facilities.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Suspending WAC 51-11-1460.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 19.27A.020, 19.27A.025, and 19.27A.045.
Other Authority: Chapters 19.27 and 34.05 RCW.
Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: The council finds that the rule causes potential economic hardship on building owners. The economic and energy model used to establish the initial cost-benefit analysis and savings potential did not take into account the types and population of cold storage facilities and systems typically used in Washington state. As the council does not have sufficient data related to the mechanical systems in cold storage facilities, it is felt more detailed analysis is necessary.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: January 4, 2011 .
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 10-03-115, 10-13-113 and 10-22-056, filed 1/20/10, 6/21/10 and 10/28/10, effective 1/1/11)
WAC 51-11-1460 ((
Cold storage.)) Reserved.
1461 Refrigerated warehouse heating and cooling. Heating
and cooling systems that supply cold storage spaces and frozen
storage spaces in refrigerated warehouses shall meet the
requirements of this section.
1462 Underslab heating. Electric resistance heat shall not be used for the purposes of underslab heating.
1. Single phase fan motors less than 1 hp and less than 460 volts shall be electronically commutated motors.
2. Evaporator fans shall be variable speed and the speed shall be controlled in response to space conditions.
1. Condensers for systems utilizing ammonia shall be evaporatively cooled.
2. Condensing temperatures for evaporative condensers under design conditions, including, but not limited to, condensers served by cooling towers shall be less than or equal to:
a. The design wetbulb temperature plus 20°F in locations where the design wetbulb temperature is less than or equal to 76°F;
b. The design wetbulb temperature plus 19°F in locations where the design wetbulb temperature is between 76°F and 78°F; or
c. The design wetbulb temperature plus 18°F in locations where the design wetbulb temperature is greater than or equal to 78°F.
3. Condensing temperatures for air-cooled condensers under design conditions shall be less than or equal to the design drybulb temperature plus 10°F for systems serving frozen storage and shall be less than or equal to the design drybulb temperature plus 15°F for systems serving cold storage.
5. All condenser fans for air-cooled condensers shall be continuously variable speed and the condensing temperature or pressure control system shall control the speed of all condenser fans serving a common condenser loop in unison. The minimum condensing temperature setpoint shall be less than or equal to 70°F, or reset in response to ambient drybulb temperature or refrigeration system load.
6. All single phase condenser fan motors less than 1 hp and less than 460 volts shall be either permanent split capacitor or electronically commutated motors.
1465 Compressors. Compressor systems utilized in refrigerated warehouses shall conform to the following:
1. Compressors shall be designed to operate at a minimum condensing temperature of 70°F or less.
2. The compressor speed of a screw compressor greater than 50 hp shall be controllable in response to the refrigeration load or the input power to the compressor shall be controlled to be less than or equal to 60% of full load input power when operated at 50% of full refrigeration capacity.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 19.27A.025, 19.27A.045. 10-03-115, 10-13-113 and 10-22-056, § 51-11-1460, filed 1/20/10, 6/21/10 and 10/28/10, effective 1/1/11.]