CLEAN AIR AGENCY
Effective Date of Rule: February 1, 2013.
Purpose: The agency regulation revision eliminates the potential conflict between an EPA regulatory requirement and the practical technical feasibility of actually complying with that requirement.
The revision amends Sections 2.01 and 2.06 of Regulation II to establish an enforceable limitation on the daily gasoline throughput of bulk gasoline plants in order to clarify that the agency will regulate these facilities as bulk gasoline plants and not as gasoline loading terminals.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending Regulation II, Sections 2.01 and 2.06.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: Chapter 70.94 RCW.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 12-22-078 on November 7, 2012.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: December 20, 2012.
Executive DirectorAMENDATORY SECTION
REGULATION II, SECTION 2.01 DEFINITIONS
When used in this Article:
(a) GASOLINE means any petroleum distillate or petroleum distillate/alcohol blend with a Reid vapor pressure of 4 pounds per square inch (27.6 kPa) or greater, which is used as a fuel for motor vehicles, marine vessels, or aircraft.
(b) GASOLINE STATION means any site that dispenses gasoline from stationary storage tanks into fuel tanks of motor vehicles, marine vessels, or aircraft.
(c) PETROLEUM REFINERY means a facility engaged in producing gasoline, aromatics, kerosene, distillate fuel oils, residual fuel oils, lubricants, asphalt, or other products by distilling crude oils or redistilling, cracking, extracting, or reforming unfinished petroleum derivatives. Not included are facilities re-refining used motor oils or waste chemicals, processing finished petroleum products, separating blended products, or air blowing asphalt.
(d) SUBMERGED FILL LINE means any discharge pipe or nozzle that meets either of the following conditions:
(1) Where the tank is filled from the top, the end of the discharge pipe or nozzle must be totally submerged when the liquid level is 6 inches (15 cm) from the bottom of the tank; or
(2) Where the tank is filled from the side, the discharge pipe or nozzle must be totally submerged when the liquid level is 18 inches (46 cm) from the bottom of the tank.
(e) TRANSPORT TANK means a container with a capacity greater than 264 gallons (1000 liters) used for shipping gasoline over roadways.
(f) VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM means a process that prevents the emission to the atmosphere of volatile organic compounds released by the operation of any transfer, storage, or process equipment.
(g) BULK GASOLINE PLANT means a gasoline storage and transfer facility that receives more than 90% of its annual gasoline throughput by transport tank, and reloads gasoline into transport tanks.
REGULATION II, SECTION 2.06 BULK GASOLINE PLANTS
Section 2.06)) It shall be unlawful for any person
to cause or allow the transfer of 20,000 gallons or more of
gasoline at a gasoline bulk plant on any day.
(b) The following provisions in Sections 2.06(c) and 2.06(d) of this regulation shall apply to all bulk gasoline plants with an annual average daily gasoline throughput greater than 15,140 liters (4,000 gallons).
(b))) (c) It shall be unlawful for any person to cause
or allow the transfer of gasoline from any transport tank into
any stationary storage tank with a capacity greater than 3,785
liters (1,000 gallons) unless the following conditions are
(1) Such stationary storage tank is equipped with a permanent submerged fill pipe and "CARB-certified" vapor recovery system; and
(2) Such transport tank is equipped to balance vapors and is maintained in a leak-tight condition in accordance with Section 2.08 of Regulation II; and
(3) All vapor return lines are connected between the transport tank and the stationary storage tank, and the vapor recovery system is operating.
(c))) (d) It shall be unlawful for any person to cause
or allow transfer of gasoline between a stationary storage
tank and a transport tank except under the following
(1) All transport tanks shall be bottom loaded;
(2) The loading of all transport tanks, shall be performed such that 90% by volume of the gasoline vapors displaced during filling are prevented from being released into the ambient air;
(3) Such transport tanks shall be equipped to balance vapors; and
(4) All vapor return lines are connected between the transport tank and the stationary storage tank, and the vapor recovery system is operating.