DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING
[Filed March 13, 2020, 3:00 p.m., effective March 13, 2020, 3:00 p.m.]
Effective Date of Rule: Immediately upon filing.
Purpose: The department of licensing is adopting emergency rule making to change the delivery method of the classroom hours of instruction; this requirement will be modified until further notice to assist with the COVID-19 response efforts.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 308-108-150.
Under RCW 34.05.350
the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: This emergency change will provide driver training schools the flexibility to adopt web based methods of instruction to assist with COVID-19 response efforts.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: March 13, 2020.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 19-07-058, filed 3/18/19, effective 4/18/19)
WAC 308-108-150Course requirements.
Driver training schools that provide education for persons under the age of eighteen must ensure their course:
(1) Includes a minimum of thirty hours of classroom instruction;
(2) Meets the behind the wheel instruction and observation requirements of WAC 308-108-160;
(3) Has a minimum of one hour and no more than two hours of classroom instruction and no more than one hour of behind the wheel instruction during a single day, except when adding a make-up class, in which case classroom instruction must not exceed four hours in a single day;
(4) Has a classroom portion that is at least fifty-percent instructor-led with verbal instruction consisting of:
(a) In-person training or live interactive web based learning;
(b) Teacher and student interaction;
(c) Questions and answers((; and
(d) No more than six make-up hours of alternative classroom instruction, delivering the same information that was missed)).
(5) Has all students in a classroom session on the same lesson, with the exception of make-up lessons. Open enrollment or self-paced instruction is not permitted;
(6) Is not completed in fewer than thirty calendar days;
(7) Includes comprehensive final written and behind the wheel examinations;
(8) Has a flow chart that indicates how the classroom and behind the wheel instruction are completed throughout the course;
(9) Includes information on the state of Washington's intermediate license requirements, restrictions, violations, and sanctions for violation of these requirements;
(10) Includes the delivery of instructional material developed by the department and the federally designated organ procurement organization for Washington state relating to organ and tissue donation awareness education; and
(11) Has a designated time for a parent, guardian, or employer night that is no less than one hour, which may fulfill one of the thirty hours required for student training, and must include:
(a) Instruction on the parent, guardian, or employer responsibilities and the importance of parent, guardian, or employer involvement with the teen driver;
(b) Information on intermediate license laws, restrictions, and sanctions;
(c) An introduction to the parent guide to teen driving; and
(d) A questions and answers period.