DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING
[Filed March 24, 2020, 3:11 p.m., effective April 24, 2020]
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: The department of licensing is adopting these rules to enact RCW 46.81A.020
and establish a motorcycle subsidy operator program. This language was developed in collaboration with current motorcycle safety educators as well as the Washington road riders association.
Citation of Rules Affected by this Order: New WAC 308-109-010 Definitions, 308-109-020 Motorcycle safety subsidy, and 308-109-030 Improving access to motorcycle ridership and reducing fatalities and serious injuries related to incidents involving motorcycles.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 20-04-094 on February 5, 2020.
A final cost-benefit analysis is available by contacting Ellis Starrett, 1125 Washington Street S.E., phone 360-902-3846, email firstname.lastname@example.org, website https://www.dol.wa.gov/about/driversrules.html.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 1, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at the Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted using Negotiated Rule Making: New 1, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: March 24, 2020.
Chapter 308-109 WAC
MOTORCYCLE PERMIT AND ENDORSEMENT REQUIREMENTS
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Contracted training provider" means an agency, firm, provider, organization, individual, or other entity performing services as outlined in RCW 46.20.520
and is under contract with the department.
(2) "Student" means persons who receive a pass, fail or incomplete status on a course completion report furnished to the department.
WAC 308-109-020Motorcycle safety subsidy.
(1) Subsidy funding will be made available for students who take department-approved training with contracted training providers in the state. The total amount allocated will be based upon funding available in the motorcycle safety program fiscal budget.
(2) The amount available per student is based on the total allocated to subsidy funding divided by the number of students trained in the previous year and may be weighted by future training projections.
(3) Each contracted training provider will be reimbursed for each student trained until allotted subsidy dollars are no longer available. Each contractor will submit a reimbursement request to the department in order to receive subsidy funds.
WAC 308-109-030Improving access to motorcycle ridership and reducing fatalities and serious injuries related to incidents involving motorcycles.
The department will set aside no more than ten percent of the available subsidy program funds in order to employ other strategies to reduce fatalities and serious injuries related to incidents involving motorcycles and improving access to motorcycle ridership.