BILL REQ. #: S-3850.1
|State of Washington||59th Legislature||2006 Regular Session|
Read first time 01/10/2006. Referred to Committee on Government Operations & Elections.
AN ACT Relating to the definition of veteran; and reenacting and amending RCW 41.04.007.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1 RCW 41.04.007 and 2005 c 251 s 1 and 2005 c 216 s 7 are
each reenacted and amended to read as follows:
"Veteran" includes every person, who at the time he or she seeks the benefits of RCW 46.16.30920, 72.36.030, 41.04.010, 73.04.090, 73.04.110, 73.08.010, ((
73.08.060,)) 73.08.070, or 73.08.080 has
received an honorable discharge or received a discharge for medical
reasons with an honorable record, where applicable, and who has served
in at least one of the following capacities:
(1) As a member in any branch of the armed forces of the United States, including the national guard and armed forces reserves, and has fulfilled his or her initial military service obligation;
(2) As a member of the women's air forces service pilots;
(3) As a member of the armed forces reserves, national guard, or coast guard, and has been called into federal service by a presidential select reserve call up for at least one hundred eighty cumulative days;
(4) As a civil service crewmember with service aboard a U.S. army transport service or U.S. naval transportation service vessel in oceangoing service from December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946;
(5) As a member of the Philippine armed forces/scouts during the period of armed conflict from December 7, 1941, through August 15, 1945; or
(6) A United States documented merchant mariner with service aboard an oceangoing vessel operated by the department of defense, or its agents, from both June 25, 1950, through July 27, 1953, in Korean territorial waters and from August 5, 1964, through May 7, 1975, in Vietnam territorial waters, and who received a military commendation.