5561 AMH ROAD KERR 112
SB 5561 - H AMD TO H AMD 595 (5561 AMH GREE KERR 085) 725
By Representative Roach
On page 1, after line 24 of the amendment, insert the following:
"(4) Overseas and service voters are exempt from voter registration requirements."
On page 6, after line 33 of the amendment, insert the following:
"Sec. 5. RCW 29A.40.020 and 2003 c 111 s 1002 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law, a registered voter or out-of-state voter, overseas voter, or service voter desiring to cast an absentee ballot at a single election or primary must request the absentee ballot from his or her county auditor no earlier than ninety days nor later than the day before the election or primary at which the person seeks to vote. An overseas or service voter may request an absentee ballot on the day of election. Except as otherwise provided by law, the request may be made orally in person, by telephone, electronically, or in writing. An application or request for an absentee ballot made under the authority of a federal statute or regulation will be considered and given the same effect as a request for an absentee ballot under this chapter.
(2) A voter requesting an absentee ballot for a primary may also request an absentee ballot for the following general election. A request by an out-of-state voter, overseas voter, or service voter for an absentee ballot for a primary election will be considered as a request for an absentee ballot for the following general election.
(3) In requesting an absentee ballot, the voter shall state the address to which the absentee ballot should be sent. A request for an absentee ballot from an out-of-state voter, overseas voter, or service voter must include the address of the last residence in the state of Washington and either a written application or the oath on the return envelope must include a declaration of the other qualifications of the applicant as an elector of this state. A request for an absentee ballot from any other voter must state the address at which that voter is currently registered to vote in the state of Washington or the county auditor shall verify that information from the voter registration records of the county.
(4) A request for an absentee ballot from a registered voter who is within this state must be made directly to the auditor of the county in which the voter is registered. An absentee ballot request from a registered voter who is temporarily outside this state or from an out-of-state voter, overseas voter, or service voter may be made either to the appropriate county auditor or to the secretary of state, who shall promptly forward the request to the appropriate county auditor.
(5) No person, organization, or association may distribute absentee ballot applications within this state that contain a return address other than that of the appropriate county auditor."
Renumber following section consecutively and correct the title.
EFFECT: Allows overseas and services voters to apply for an absentee ballot on Election Day.