|Passed by the Senate February 8, 2010|
President of the Senate
Passed by the House February 28, 2010
Speaker of the House of Representatives
I, Thomas Hoemann, Secretary of the Senate of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is SECOND ENGROSSED SENATE BILL 5617 as passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives on the dates hereon set forth.
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
|State of Washington||61st Legislature||2010 Regular Session|
Read first time 01/27/09. Referred to Committee on Early Learning & K-12 Education.
AN ACT Relating to the early learning advisory council; and amending RCW 43.215.090.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
Sec. 1 RCW 43.215.090 and 2007 c 394 s 3 are each amended to read
(1) The early learning advisory council is established to advise the department on statewide early learning ((
community needs and
progress)) issues that would build a comprehensive system of quality
early learning programs and services for Washington's children and
families by assessing needs and the availability of services, aligning
resources, developing plans for data collection and professional
development of early childhood educators, and establishing key
(2) The council shall work in conjunction with the department to develop a statewide early learning plan that ((
crosses systems and
sectors to promote)) guides the department in promoting alignment of
private and public sector actions, objectives, and resources, and (( to
ensure)) ensuring school readiness.
(3) The council shall include diverse, statewide representation from public, nonprofit, and for-profit entities. Its membership shall reflect regional, racial, and cultural diversity to adequately represent the needs of all children and families in the state.
(4) Councilmembers shall serve two-year terms. However, to stagger the terms of the council, the initial appointments for twelve of the members shall be for one year. Once the initial one-year to two-year terms expire, all subsequent terms shall be for two years, with the terms expiring on June 30th of the applicable year. The terms shall be staggered in such a way that, where possible, the terms of members representing a specific group do not expire simultaneously.
(5) The council shall consist of not more than ((
twenty-three members, as follows:
(a) The governor shall appoint at least one representative from each of the following: The department, the office of financial management, the department of social and health services, the department of health, the higher education coordinating board, and the state board for community and technical colleges;
(b) One representative from the office of the superintendent of public instruction, to be appointed by the superintendent of public instruction;
(c) The governor shall appoint ((
at least)) seven leaders in early
childhood education, with at least one representative with experience
or expertise in each of the areas such as the following (( areas)):
Children with disabilities, the K-12 system, family day care providers,
and child care centers;
(d) Two members of the house of representatives, one from each caucus, and two members of the senate, one from each caucus, to be appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives and the president of the senate, respectively;
(e) Two parents, one of whom serves on the department's parent advisory council, to be appointed by the governor;
Two)) One representative(( s)) of the private-public
partnership created in RCW 43.215.070, to be appointed by the
(g) One representative designated by sovereign tribal governments; and
(h) One representative from the Washington federation of independent schools.
(6) The council shall be cochaired by one representative of a state agency and one nongovernmental member, to be elected by the council for two-year terms.
(7) Each member of the board shall be compensated in accordance with RCW 43.03.240 and reimbursed for travel expenses incurred in carrying out the duties of the board in accordance with RCW 43.03.050 and 43.03.060.
(8) The department shall provide staff support to the council.