SSB 5615 -
By Committee on Higher Education
NOT CONSIDERED 04/12/2013
Strike everything after the enacting clause and insert the following:
"Sec. 1 RCW 28B.76.090 and 2012 c 229 s 401 are each amended to
read as follows:
(1) The office of student financial assistance is created within and under the direction of the student achievement council.
(2) The purpose of the office is to administer state and federal financial aid and other education services programs, including the advanced college tuition payment program in chapter 28B.95 RCW, in a cost-effective manner.
(3) The office shall also contract with a fund-raiser who shall not be a registered state lobbyist to solicit and accept grants and donations from public and private sources for the health professional loan repayment and scholarship program as required under RCW 28B.115.030.
Sec. 2 RCW 28B.115.030 and 2011 1st sp.s. c 11 s 205 are each
amended to read as follows:
The health professional loan repayment and scholarship program is established for credentialed health professionals and residents serving in health professional shortage areas. The program shall be administered by the office. In administering this program, the office shall:
(1) Select credentialed health care professionals and residents to participate in the loan repayment portion of the loan repayment and scholarship program and select eligible students to participate in the scholarship portion of the loan repayment and scholarship program;
(2) Adopt rules and develop guidelines to administer the program;
(3) Collect and manage repayments from participants who do not meet their service obligations under this chapter;
(4) Publicize the program, particularly to maximize participation among individuals in shortage areas and among populations expected to experience the greatest growth in the workforce;
(5) Use a competitive procurement to contract with a fund-raiser to solicit and accept grants and donations from ((
public and)) private
sources for the program. The fund-raiser must be paid on a contingency
fee basis, which shall be based on the total funds raised by the fund-raiser for the program each year. The amount the fund-raiser is paid
may be on a sliding scale but must not exceed fifteen percent of the
total amount raised for the program each year; and
(6) Develop criteria for a contract for service in lieu of the service obligation where appropriate, that may be a combination of service and payment."
Correct the title.
EFFECT: Requires the Office of Student Financial Assistance within the Student Achievement Council to contract with a fund-raiser who shall not be a registered state lobbyist in order to solicit and accept grants and donations. Removes the permission for these grants and donations to be from public sources. Requires that a competitive process be used to choose the fund-raiser, and permits that the amount the fund-raiser is paid be on a sliding scale.