HB 1645 -
By Committee on Higher Education
Strike everything after the enacting clause and insert the following:
"Sec. 1 RCW 28B.07.030 and 2011 1st sp.s. c 11 s 137 are each
amended to read as follows:
(1) The Washington higher education facilities authority is hereby established as a public body corporate and politic, with perpetual corporate succession, constituting an agency of the state of Washington exercising essential governmental functions. The authority is a "public body" within the meaning of RCW 39.53.010.
(2) The authority shall consist of ((
six)) seven members as
follows: The governor, lieutenant governor, chair of the student
achievement council or the chair's designee, and four public members,
one of whom shall be the president of a higher education institution at
the time of appointment. The public members shall be residents of the
state and appointed by the governor, subject to confirmation by the
senate, on the basis of their interest or expertise in the provision of
higher education and the financing of higher education. The public
members of the authority shall serve for terms of four years. The
initial terms of the public members shall be staggered in a manner
determined by the governor. In the event of a vacancy on the authority
due to death, resignation, or removal of one of the public members, and
upon the expiration of the term of any public member, the governor
shall appoint a successor for a term expiring on the fourth anniversary
of the successor's date of the appointment. If any of the state
offices are abolished, the resulting vacancy on the authority shall be
filled by the state officer who shall succeed substantially to the
power and duties of the abolished office. Any public member of the
authority may be removed by the governor for misfeasance, malfeasance,
willful neglect of duty, or any other cause after notice and a public
hearing, unless such notice and hearing shall be expressly waived in
(3) The governor shall serve as chairperson of the authority. The authority shall elect annually one of its members as secretary. If the governor shall be absent from a meeting of the authority, the secretary shall preside. However, the governor may designate an employee of the governor's office to act on the governor's behalf in all other respects during the absence of the governor at any meeting of the authority. If the designation is in writing and is presented to the person presiding at the meetings of the authority who is included in the designation, the vote of the designee has the same effect as if cast by the governor.
(4) Any person designated by resolution of the authority shall keep a record of the proceedings of the authority and shall be the custodian of all books, documents, and papers filed with the authority, the minute book or a journal of the authority, and the authority's official seal, if any. The person may cause copies to be made of all minutes and other records and documents of the authority, and may give certificates to the effect that such copies are true copies. All persons dealing with the authority may rely upon the certificates.
(5) Four members of the authority constitute a quorum. Members participating in a meeting through the use of any means of communication by which all members participating can hear each other during the meeting shall be deemed to be present in person at the meeting for all purposes. The authority may act on the basis of a motion except when authorizing the issuance and sale of bonds, in which case the authority shall act by resolution. Bond resolutions and other resolutions shall be adopted upon the affirmative vote of four members of the authority, and shall be signed by those members voting yes. Motions shall be adopted upon the affirmative vote of a majority of a quorum of members present at any meeting of the authority. All actions taken by the authority shall take effect immediately without need for publication or other public notice. A vacancy in the membership of the authority does not impair the power of the authority to act under this chapter.
(6) The members of the authority shall be compensated in accordance with RCW 43.03.240 and shall be entitled to reimbursement, solely from the funds of the authority, for travel expenses as determined by the authority incurred in the discharge of their duties under this chapter."
HB 1645 -
By Committee on Higher Education
On page 1, line 2 of the title, after "authority;" strike the remainder of the title and insert "and amending RCW 28B.07.030."
EFFECT: Increases the membership on the Higher Education Facilities Authority to include the Chair of the Washington Student Achievement Council or the Chair's designee.