HB 1309

This analysis was prepared by non-partisan legislative staff for the use of legislative members in their deliberations. This analysis is not a part of the legislation nor does it constitute a statement of legislative intent.

C 133 L 15

Synopsis as Enacted

Brief Description: Concerning the sale of floating homes or floating on-water residences by brokers.

Sponsors: Representatives Vick and Kirby.

House Committee on Business & Financial Services

Senate Committee on Commerce & Labor


A real estate broker is a person who negotiates for others the purchase, sale, exchange, lease, or rental of real property, business opportunities, or a manufactured home in conjunction with the land on which the home is located. A real estate broker is required to obtain a license from the Department of Licensing (Department).

A vessel dealer is a person engaged in the business of selling watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water, not including seaplanes. Vessel dealers must also obtain a license from the Department to sell vessels in Washington.

Certain kinds of residential homes float on the water. There are two types of such homes. The first is a floating home, defined as a single-family dwelling constructed on a float that is moored or anchored in the water. Such homes are not considered vessels, even if they are capable of being towed. The second kind of floating domicile is a floating on-water residence, defined as a floating residence with detachable utilities whose owner or occupant has held an ownership or leasehold interest in a marina space since at least June 30, 2014.


The definition of real estate brokerage services is expanded to include dealing in floating homes and floating on-water residences.

Real estate brokers are exempt from licensure as vessel dealers for the purpose of selling floating on-water residences.

Votes on Final Passage:








July 24, 2015