|SB 5755-S - DIGEST|
|(SUBSTITUTED FOR - SEE 2ND SUB)|
Responds to the findings of the state justice reinvestment task force by: (1) Changing sentencing policy to require supervision of certain people convicted of property offenses;
(2) Providing treatment, if needed, and programs to reduce recidivism; and
(3) Providing additional support to local governments and victims of property crime.
Changes the duties and composition of the sentencing guidelines commission.
Provides for termination and review, under the sunset act, of the sentencing guidelines commission's authorities as established in this act.
Requires the sentencing guidelines commission, if requested by a legislator, to prepare a racial and ethnic impact analysis that describes the effects of proposed legislation on the racial and ethnic composition of the criminal offender population or recipients of human services.
Requires the department of commerce to: (1) Establish a law enforcement grant program and a pretrial grant program;
(2) Use an advisory committee to evaluate grant applications and monitor the effectiveness of grant projects in terms of property crime reduction;
(3) Consult with counties and local law enforcement agencies when determining grant eligibility requirements and criteria; and
(4) Report to the sentencing guidelines commission on the effectiveness of the grant programs.
Authorizes the prosecuting attorney to file a special allegation when sufficient evidence exists to show that an accused is a habitual property offender.
Provides that this act is null and void if appropriations are not approved.