2350 AMH KRAF OBRT 086
HB 2350 - H AMD 918
By Representative Kraft
"Sec. 1. RCW 82.16.040 and 1996 c 111 s 4 are each amended to read as follows:
The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to persons engaging in one or more businesses taxable under this chapter whose total gross income is less than two thousand five hundred dollars for a monthly period or portion thereof. Any person claiming exemption under this section may be required to file returns even though no tax may be due. If the total gross income for a taxable monthly period is two thousand five hundred dollars, or more, no exemption or deductions from the gross operating revenue is allowed by this provision.
Sec. 2. RCW 82.32.030 and 2017 c 323 s 505 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, if any person engages in any business or performs any act upon which a tax is imposed by the preceding chapters, he or she must, under such rules as the department prescribes, apply for and obtain from the department a registration certificate. Such registration certificate is personal and nontransferable and is valid as long as the taxpayer continues in business and pays the tax accrued to the state. In case business is transacted at two or more separate places by one taxpayer, a separate registration certificate for each place at which business is transacted with the public is required. Each certificate must be numbered and must show the name, residence, and place and character of business of the taxpayer and such other information as the department of revenue deems necessary and must be posted in a conspicuous place at the place of business for which it is issued. Where a place of business of the taxpayer is changed, the taxpayer must return to the department the existing certificate, and a new certificate will be issued for the new place of business. No person required to be registered under this section may engage in any business taxable hereunder without first being so registered. The department, by rule, may provide for the issuance of certificates of registration to temporary places of business.
(2) Unless the person is a dealer as defined in RCW 9.41.010, registration under this section is not required if the following conditions are met:
person's value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the
business, from all business activities taxable under chapter 82.04 RCW, is less
twelve thousand )) thirty-five dollars per year; or
(ii) Fifty-six thousand dollars per year for persons generating at least fifty percent of their taxable amount from activities taxable under RCW 82.04.255, 82.04.290(2)(1) and 82.04.285;
(b) The person's gross income of the business from all activities taxable under chapter 82.16 RCW is less than twelve thousand dollars per year;
(c) The person is not required to collect or pay to the department of revenue any other tax or fee that the department is authorized to collect; and
(d) The person is not otherwise required to obtain a license subject to the business license application procedure provided in chapter 19.02 RCW.
(3) All persons who agree to collect and remit sales and use tax to the department under the agreement must register through the central registration system authorized under the agreement. Persons required to register under subsection (1) of this section are not relieved of that requirement because of registration under this subsection (3).
(4) Persons registered under subsection (3) of this section who are not required to register under subsection (1) of this section and who are not otherwise subject to the requirements of chapter 19.02 RCW are not subject to the fees imposed by the department under the authority of RCW 19.02.075.
Sec. 3. RCW 82.32.045 and 2010 1st sp.s. c 23 s 1103 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, payments of the taxes imposed under chapters 82.04, 82.08, 82.12, 82.14, and 82.16 RCW, along with reports and returns on forms prescribed by the department, are due monthly within twenty-five days after the end of the month in which the taxable activities occur.
(2) The department of revenue may relieve any taxpayer or class of taxpayers from the obligation of remitting monthly and may require the return to cover other longer reporting periods, but in no event may returns be filed for a period greater than one year. For these taxpayers, tax payments are due on or before the last day of the month next succeeding the end of the period covered by the return.
(3) The department of revenue may also require verified annual returns from any taxpayer, setting forth such additional information as it may deem necessary to correctly determine tax liability.
(4) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the department may relieve any person of the requirement to file returns if the following conditions are met:
(a) The person's value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the business, from all business activities taxable under chapter 82.04 RCW, is less than:
)) Thirty-five thousand dollars per year; or
thousand six hundred sixty-seven )) Fifty-six thousand dollars per
year for persons generating at least fifty percent of their taxable amount from
activities taxable under RCW 82.04.255, 82.04.290(2)(a), and 82.04.285;
(b) The person's gross income of the business from all activities taxable under chapter 82.16 RCW is less than twenty-four thousand dollars per year; and
(c) The person is not required to collect or pay to the department of revenue any other tax or fee which the department is authorized to collect.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. This act takes effect January 1, 2019."
Correct the title.
EFFECT: Updates the filing threshold for the Public Utilities tax. Provides a corresponding exemption from registration for those not required to file a return. Changes the filing threshold for service businesses to $56,000. Provides an effective date of January 1, 2019.
--- END ---