SENATE BILL 6304
State of Washington
2020 Regular Session
BySenators Liias, King, Darneille, Saldaña, Das, Dhingra, Hasegawa, Lovelett, Nguyen, Stanford, Wilson, C., and Zeiger
Read first time 01/15/20.Referred to Committee on Transportation.
AN ACT Relating to assisting homeless individuals in obtaining Washington state identicards; amending RCW 46.20.117
; and adding a new section to chapter 43.216
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1.
A new section is added to chapter 43.216
RCW to read as follows:
(1) The department shall assist individuals under the age of twenty-five who do not have a permanent residence address and qualify for actual cost of a Washington state identicards under RCW 46.20.117
(1)(c)(ii) in obtaining a Washington state identicard.
(2) To achieve the goals of this section, the department shall:
(a) Accept Washington state identicard application materials for individuals qualifying for a Washington state identicard under RCW 46.20.117
(1)(c)(ii), including proof of identity materials required under RCW 46.20.035
(i) Individuals or entities licensed by the department;
(ii) Individuals or entities contracted to provide services by the department;
(iii) Individual schools or school districts;
(v) Crisis residential centers as described in RCW 43.185C.295
(vi) Street outreach services as defined in RCW 43.185C.010
(vii) The independent youth housing program as described in RCW 43.63A.305
(b) Compile information received under (a) of this subsection and submit this information to the department of licensing;
(c) Develop, in consultation with the department of licensing, the office of the superintendent of public instruction, and the office of homeless youth prevention and protection programs, other forms of identification that may be common for individuals qualifying for a Washington state identicard under RCW 46.20.117
(1)(c)(ii) that meet the alternative documentation requirements of the department of licensing under RCW 46.20.035
and 2018 c 157 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Issuance. The department shall issue an identicard, containing a picture, if the applicant:
(a) Does not hold a valid Washington driver's license;
(b) Proves his or her identity as required by RCW 46.20.035
(c) Pays the required fee. Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, the fee is fifty-four dollars, unless an applicant is:
(i) A recipient of continuing public assistance grants under Title 74
RCW, who is referred in writing by the secretary of social and health services;
(ii) Under the age of ((eighteen))twenty-five and does not have a permanent residence address as determined by the department by rule; or
(iii) An individual who is scheduled to be released from an institution as defined in RCW 13.40.020
, a community facility as defined in RCW 72.05.020
, or other juvenile rehabilitation facility operated by the department of social and health services or the department of children, youth, and families; or an individual who has been released from such an institution or facility within thirty calendar days before the date of the application.
For those persons under (c)(i) through (iii) of this subsection, the fee must be the actual cost of production of the identicard.
(2)(a) Design and term. The identicard must:
(i) Be distinctly designed so that it will not be confused with the official driver's license; and
(ii) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, expire on the sixth anniversary of the applicant's birthdate after issuance.
(b) The identicard may include the person's status as a veteran, consistent with RCW 46.20.161
(3) Renewal. An application for identicard renewal may be submitted by means of:
(a) Personal appearance before the department; or
(b) Mail or electronic commerce, if permitted by rule of the department and if the applicant did not renew his or her identicard by mail or by electronic commerce when it last expired.
An identicard may not be renewed by mail or by electronic commerce unless the renewal issued by the department includes a photograph of the identicard holder.
. The department may cancel an identicard if the holder of the identicard used the card or allowed others to use the card in violation of RCW 46.20.0921
(5) Alternative issuance/renewal/extension. The department may issue or renew an identicard for a period other than six years, or may extend by mail or electronic commerce an identicard that has already been issued, in order to evenly distribute, as nearly as possible, the yearly renewal rate of identicard holders. The fee for an identicard issued or renewed for a period other than six years, or that has been extended by mail or electronic commerce, is nine dollars for each year that the identicard is issued, renewed, or extended. The department may adopt any rules as are necessary to carry out this subsection.
--- END ---