HB 1063
C 57 L 21
Synopsis as Enacted
Brief Description: Allowing additional renewals for behavioral health professional trainee and associate credentials.
Sponsors: Representatives Harris, Cody, Bateman, Kloba, Ortiz-Self, Leavitt, Slatter, Tharinger, Callan, Riccelli, Macri, Rule, Davis and Pollet.
House Committee on Health Care & Wellness
Senate Committee on Health & Long Term Care
Senate Committee on Behavioral Health Subcommittee to Health & Long Term Care

Behavioral Health Professional Trainee Certificates and Associate Licenses.

The Department of Health issues trainee certifications and associate licenses for certain behavioral health professions to allow applicants to obtain the experience hours necessary to meet professional credentialing requirements for a full certification or license.  These professions include:

  • substance use disorder professional trainees (SUDPT); and
  • social worker, mental health counselor, and marriage and family therapist associates.

Substance Use Disorder Professional Trainee Certificates.
An SUDPT is a certified individual working to satisfy the requirements for full certification as a substance use disorder professional.  The experience hours required for substance use disorder professional certification are carried out under approved supervision.  The number of professional experience hours needed for certification as a substance use disorder professional varies, depending on the type of formative education of the trainee.  To qualify as an SUDPT, the applicant must submit:

  • written documentation demonstrating enrollment in an approved school where the person is gaining the experience required to receive a substance use disorder professional credential;
  • evidence of completion of four hours of acquired immune deficiency syndrome education; and
  • a signed declaration with their annual renewal that states the person is enrolled in an approved education program, or has completed the educational requirements, and is obtaining the experience requirements for a substance use disorder professional credential.

An SUDPT certificate may be renewed no more than four times.
Social Worker, Mental Health Counselor, and Marriage and Family Therapist Associate Licenses.
An associate license is available to a person gaining the supervised experience necessary to obtain a full license as:

  • an independent clinical social worker;
  • an advanced social worker;
  • a mental health counselor; or
  • a marriage and family therapist.

The number of obligatory experience hours and other requirements varies, depending upon the specific behavioral health license sought.
An associate license may be renewed no more than six times, provided the applicant for renewal has successfully completed 18 hours of continuing education in the preceding year.  Upon the second renewal, at least six of the continuing education hours in the preceding two years must be in professional ethics.
Governor-Declared Emergencies.
A Governor's proclamation of a state of emergency is effective upon the Governor's signature, and the appropriate filing and public notice procedure.  A proclamation of a state of emergency allows the Governor to prescribe certain actions or prohibitions, such as setting a period of curfew or prohibiting the gathering of persons in public or private areas.  The Governor may terminate a state of emergency proclamation when order has been restored in the area affected.


The Secretary of Health is authorized to grant a waiver for additional credential renewals due to barriers to testing or training resulting from a Governor-declared emergency for the following credentials:

  • substance use disorder professional trainee certifications; and
  • social worker, mental health counselor, and marriage and family therapist associate licenses.
Votes on Final Passage:
House 96 0
Senate 49 0

April 16, 2021