SUBSTITUTE SENATE BILL 5208
State of Washington
2023 Regular Session
BySenate State Government & Elections (originally sponsored by Senators Trudeau, King, Hunt, Nobles, Randall, Keiser, Kuderer, Lovick, Saldaña, Hasegawa, Liias, Conway, Frame, Nguyen, Pedersen, Stanford, Valdez, Wellman, and C. Wilson; by request of Secretary of State)
READ FIRST TIME 01/23/23.
AN ACT Relating to updating the process for online voter registration by allowing voter applicants to provide the last four digits of social security number for authentication; amending RCW 29A.08.123
; and providing an effective date.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
and 2019 c 6 s 3 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) A person qualified to vote who has a valid:
(a) Washington state driver's license((,));
(b) Washington state identification card((, or));
(c) Washington state learner's permit;
(d) Current Washington tribal identification; or
(e) Social Security number,
may submit a voter registration application electronically on the secretary of state's website, and provide either the state issued identification number, the tribal identification number, or the last four digits of the person's social security number. ((A person who has a valid tribal identification card may submit a voter registration electronically on the secretary of state's website if the secretary of state is able to obtain a copy of the applicant's signature from the federal government or the tribal government.))
(2) The applicant must attest to the truth of the information provided on the application and confirm the applicant's United States citizenship by reviewing the registration oath online and affirmatively accepting the information as true.
(3) ((The))For applicants using Washington state issued identification, the applicant must affirmatively assent to use of ((his or her))the applicant's driver's license((,))or state identification card((, or tribal identification card)) signature for voter registration purposes.
(4) For applicants using a tribal identification or social security number, the voter must submit a signature image by either submitting a signature image to the secretary of state, or submitting a signature image as part of the confirmation notice process.
(5) A voter registration application submitted electronically is otherwise considered a registration by mail.
(((5)))(6) For each electronic application, the secretary of state must obtain a digital copy of the applicant's driver's license or state identification card signature from the department of licensing, the voter, or tribal identification issuing authority.
(((6)))(7) The secretary of state may employ additional security measures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of voter registration applications submitted electronically.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. This act takes effect July 15, 2024.
--- END ---