SUBSTITUTE SENATE BILL 5306
State of Washington
2023 Regular Session
BySenate Agriculture, Water, Natural Resources & Parks (originally sponsored by Senators Short, Van De Wege, Nobles, and Stanford; by request of Department of Fish and Wildlife)
READ FIRST TIME 02/03/23.
AN ACT Relating to authorizing the department of fish and wildlife to establish disease interdiction and control check stations; and adding a new chapter to Title 77
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
NEW SECTION. Sec. 1. There are infectious diseases and infestations that can damage, threaten, and endanger fish, wildlife, shellfish, and seaweed resources. The department is authorized to take reasonable, preventative measures to protect Washington's fish, wildlife, shellfish, and seaweed species from infectious diseases and infestations.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 2. (1) The department is authorized to establish disease interdiction and control check stations.
(2) The check stations may be signed from roadsides, including state highways and interstates.
(3) Signage must indicate which diseases or infestations are being investigated, and what fish, wildlife, shellfish, and seaweed are being checked.
(4) The signage must be placed in coordination with the department of transportation.
(5) The check stations must be operated in a safe manner.
(6) A person who encounters a disease interdiction and control check station while transporting fish, wildlife, shellfish, or seaweed in their possession is requested to stop at the check station and allow the fish, wildlife, shellfish, or seaweed in their possession to be inspected and sampled for the diseases or infestations.
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. This chapter does not apply to aquaculture, aquatic farmers, or private sector cultured aquatic products as those terms are defined in RCW 15.85.020. NEW SECTION. Sec. 4. Sections 1 through 3 of this act constitute a new chapter in Title 77 RCW.
--- END ---