CERTIFICATION OF ENROLLMENT
ENGROSSED SENATE BILL 5336
Chapter 96, Laws of 2023
2023 REGULAR SESSION
MAIN STREET TRUST FUND TAX CREDIT—POPULATION CRITERIA
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 23, 2023
Passed by the Senate February 1, 2023
Yeas 48 Nays 0
President of the Senate
Passed by the House April 5, 2023
Yeas 98 Nays 0
Speaker of the House of Representatives
I, Sarah Bannister, Secretary of the Senate of the State of Washington, do hereby certify that the attached is ENGROSSED SENATE BILL 5336 as passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives on the dates hereon set forth.
Approved April 14, 2023 10:11 AM
April 14, 2023
Governor of the State of Washington
Secretary of State
State of Washington
ENGROSSED SENATE BILL 5336
Passed Legislature - 2023 Regular Session
State of Washington
2023 Regular Session
BySenators Cleveland, L. Wilson, Frame, and Mullet
Read first time 01/12/23.Referred to Committee on Business, Financial Services, Gaming & Trade.
AN ACT Relating to the main street trust fund tax credit; and amending RCW 82.73.030
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
and 2021 c 112 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Subject to the limitations in this chapter, a credit is allowed against the tax imposed by chapters 82.04
RCW for approved contributions that are made by a person to a program or the main street trust fund.
(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, the credit allowed under this section is limited to an amount equal to:
(i) Seventy-five percent of the approved contribution made by a person to a program; or
(ii) Fifty percent of the approved contribution made by a person to the main street trust fund.
(b) Beginning with contributions made in calendar year 2021, an additional credit is allowed equal to 25 percent of the approved contribution made by a person to the main street trust fund.
(3) The department may not approve credit with respect to a program in a city or town with a population of ((one hundred ninety thousand
persons or more at the time of designation under RCW 43.360.030
(4) The department must keep a running total of all credits approved under this chapter for each calendar year. The department may not approve any credits under this section that would cause the total amount of approved credits statewide to exceed $5,000,000 in any calendar year.
(5)(a)(i) The total credits allowed under this chapter for contributions made to each program may not exceed $160,000 in a calendar year.
(ii) Between 8:00 a.m., Pacific standard time, on the second Monday in January and 8:00 a.m., Pacific daylight time, on April 1st of the same calendar year, the department must evenly allocate the amount of statewide credits allowed under subsection (4) of this section based on the total number of programs and the main street trust fund as of January 1st in the same calendar year. The department may not approve contributions for a program or the main street trust fund that would cause the total amount of approved credits for a program or the main street trust fund to exceed the allocated amount.
(b) The total credits allowed under this chapter for a person may not exceed ((two hundred fifty thousand dollars))$250,000 in a calendar year.
(6) Except as provided in subsection (8) of this section, the credit may be claimed against any tax due under chapters 82.04
RCW only in the calendar year immediately following the calendar year in which the credit was approved by the department and the contribution was made to the program or the main street trust fund. Credits may not be carried over to subsequent years. No refunds may be granted for credits under this chapter.
(7) The total amount of the credit claimed in any calendar year by a person may not exceed the lesser amount of:
(a) The approved credit; or
(b) Seventy-five percent of the amount of the contribution that is made by the person to a program and 75 percent of the amount of the contribution that is made by the person to the main street trust fund, in the prior calendar year.
(8) Any credits provided in accordance with this chapter for approved contributions made in calendar year 2020 may be carried over for an additional two years and must be used by December 31, 2023.
(9) No credit is allowed or may be claimed under this section on or after January 1, 2032.
and 2017 3rd sp.s. c 37 s 104 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) A person that was approved for credit as provided in RCW 82.73.020
the total approved contribution by November 15th of the calendar year in which the application is approved. If November 15th falls upon a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the payment of the contribution will be considered timely if ((made
on the next business day.
(2)(a) A person that does not make a contribution as required in subsection (1) of this section forfeits all credits for the approved contribution.
(b) The department must make credits forfeited as provided in (a) of this subsection available to new applicants.
(3) A person that was approved for credit as provided in RCW 82.73.020
after November 15th must make the total approved contribution by the end of the calendar year in which the contribution was approved.
Passed by the Senate February 1, 2023.
Passed by the House April 5, 2023.
Approved by the Governor April 14, 2023.
Filed in Office of Secretary of State April 14, 2023.
--- END ---