WSR 98-21-030


[Filed October 13, 1998, 3:52 p.m.]

notice of request for attorney general's opinion

washington attorney general

The Washington Attorney General issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the Attorney General's Office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest by November 11, 1998. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by November 11, 1998, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the Attorney General's Office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 753-2678, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the Attorney General's Opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The Attorney General's Office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

98-08-04 Request by Senator Mary Margaret Haugen, State Senator

on Behalf of Municipal Research Council

May a city council member, who is appointed to fill a council vacancy during the first two years of the four-year term, receive a salary increase adopted during that term, but before the council member is elected to fill the remaining two years of the term, if he does not receive the increase until after his election, or must the council member wait until he is elected to and begins serving a new four-year term before receiving the increase?