Date of Adoption: August 11, 1999.
Purpose: Clarify definitions to help avoid confusion.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 308-10-010.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 46.01.110.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 99-12-026 on May 25, 1999.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0. Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
August 11, 1999
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 96-05-036, filed 2/15/96, effective 3/17/96)
(1) The definitions set forth in RCW 42.17.020 shall apply to this chapter.
(2) The "department of licensing" is the agency created pursuant to RCW 46.01. The department of licensing shall hereinafter be referred to as the department. Where appropriate, the term department also refers to the staff and employees of the department of licensing.
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of licensing as appointed by the governor pursuant to RCW 46.01.090.
(4) "Raw data" means facts, symbols, or observations which have all of the following characteristics:
(a) They have not been processed, edited or interpreted.
(b) They are unevaluated and unorganized.
(c) The fact, symbol, or observation does not, of itself, impart meaning to a potential user or fulfill a recognized need.
(d) To be useable the fact, symbol, or observation must go through some transformation process.
(5) "Information" means raw data that are organized, evaluated and interpreted to impart meaning to potential users and fulfill a recognized need.
(6) "Listing (list)" means ((
a)) an item-by-item series of (( items of any kind including))
names, figures, words or numbers (( no matter what the arrangement or purpose. When applied to
the release of department record information it means the names of two or more individuals
contained in:)) written or printed one after the other.
(8) "Individual" means a natural person.
(9) "Commercial purpose" means using or intending to use information ((
contact or personally affect an individual identified on a list to facilitate)) for the purpose of
facilitating a profit expecting business activity.
(10) "Profession," when applied to department records, or the release of department record information, means any state regulated business, profession or occupation administered by the assistant director, business and professions division.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 42.17.250. 96-05-036, § 308-10-010, filed 2/15/96, effective 3/17/96; 92-09-107, § 308-10-010, filed 4/20/92, effective 5/21/92; Order MV 348, § 308-10-010, filed 12/24/75.]