SOCIAL AND HEALTH SERVICES
(Economic Services Administration)
Date of Adoption: March 2, 2001.
Purpose: Changes the date asylees become eligible for refugee cash assistance (RCA) from the month they enter the United States to the date they are granted asylum. This change reflects a reversal of policy by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 388-400-0030.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, and 74.08.090.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 01-03-040 on January 9, 2001.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0. Effective Date of Rule: April 1, 2001.
February 28, 2001
Bonita H. Jacques, Chief
Office of Legal Affairs2902.1
(a) Provide the name of the voluntary agency (VOLAG) which
them)) you; and
(b) Meet the:
(i) Immigration status requirements of WAC 388-466-0005;
(ii) Work and training requirements of WAC 388-466-0015;
(iii) Income and resource requirements under chapters
388-450 and 388-470 WAC with exceptions as provided under WAC 388-466-0010((
(iv) Monthly reporting requirements of chapter 388-456 WAC)).
Persons)) You are not eligible to receive RCA if
(( they)) you:
(a) Are eligible for temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income;
(b) Have been denied TANF or have been terminated from TANF due to intentional noncompliance with TANF eligibility requirements; or
(c) Are a full-time ((
students in institutions of higher
education unless the educational activity is part of a
department-approved employability plan.
(3) Refugee families, including families with children who are United States citizens, will be treated as single assistance units according to chapter 388-408 WAC.
(4) Eligibility and benefit levels for RCA assistance units are determined using the TANF payment standards in WAC 388-478-0020.
(5) Persons eligible for RCA are eligible for additional requirements for emergent situations as provided in chapter 388-436 WAC.
(6) A person meeting the requirements of this section is eligible for refugee cash assistance only during the eight-month period beginning in the first month the person entered the United States)) student in an institution of higher education.
(3) If you are a refugee family and have children who are United States citizens, we treat you as a single assistance unit under chapter 388-408 WAC.
(4) We determine your eligibility and benefit level for RCA using the TANF payment standards under WAC 388-478-0020.
(5) If you are eligible for RCA and are pregnant or have a dependent child you may also be eligible for additional requirements for emergent needs under WAC 388-436-0002.
(6) If you meet the requirements of this section you are eligible for refugee cash assistance only during the eight-month period beginning:
(a) The date asylum is granted if you are an asylee; or
(b) The first month you entered the United States if you are not an asylee.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. 98-16-044, 388-400-0030, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98.]