WSR 01-18-078


[ Filed September 4, 2001, 3:37 p.m. ]



The Washington Attorney General issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the Attorney General's Office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest by September 26, 2001. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by September 26, 2001, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the Attorney General's Office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the Attorney General's Opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The Attorney General's Office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

01-08-01 Request by Randall Gaylord, San Juan County Prosecuting Attorney

1. May the county use tax revenues generated under RCW 82.14.370 to fund the purchase and/or installation of fiber optic cable and optical switching electronics by the local non-profit electrical cooperative for the purpose of extending broadband high-speed telecommunications to San Juan County?

2. If the answer is no, does RCW 82.14.370 permit the funding, under any circumstance, of a facility which promotes economic development when the facility is owned by a private for profit or non-profit organization?

3. If the answer to question 2 is no, does a grant of RCW 82.14.370 tax funds by the county to a private entity always require the same level of joint ownership or control as is required in a grant of lodging tax revenues as discussed in AGO 2000 No. 9?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office