RULES OF COURT
|IN THE MATTER OF THE ADOPTION OF THE AMENDMENTS TO GR 14 AND RAP 10.4(g)||)
Now, therefore, it is hereby
(a) That the amendments as attached hereto are adopted.
(b) That the amendments will be published in the Washington Reports and will become effective September 1, 2003.
DATED at Olympia, Washington this 12th day of June 2003.
| Alexander, C. J.
| Johnson, J.
|| Bridge, J.
| Madsen, J.
|| Chambers, J.
| Sanders, J.
|| Owens, J.
| Ireland, J.
|| Fairhurst, J.
FORMAT FOR PLEADINGS AND OTHER PAPERS
(d) Citation Format. Citations shall conform with the format prescribed by the Reporter of Decisions. (See Appendix 1.)
NOTE: The WSBA Court Rules and Procedures Committee recommends that the Appendix consist of the Reporter of Decisions "style sheet," and that an updated version be included in the published rule book each year, thereby allowing any changes to be incorporated easily as they are made and providing a ready reference for practitioners.
Office of Reporter of Decisions
This style sheet is effective May 15, 2003 and is subject to revision.
2. The Practitioners' Notes section of the Bluebook (section P at 10-19 on light blue paper) applies specifically to court documents. BLUEBOOK I.1, at 3 and § P at 11. Conflicts between section R of the Bluebook (General Rules of Citation and Style at 20-181) and section P of the Bluebook are resolved in favor of section P with the exception that for typefaces, a manuscript opinion may follow the rules of section P or section R.
3. The latest edition of The Chicago Manual of Style is the authority for punctuation and style matters not covered by the Bluebook.
4. Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language is the authority for spelling, including spacing and hyphens between nouns (e.g., boyfriend, girl friend, day care, baby-sitter). Where two or more spellings are listed, use Webster's preferred spelling rather than the variant.
5. For matters not covered by the Bluebook, The Chicago Manual of Style, or Webster's, the Office of the Reporter of Decisions applies formal, traditional, noncolloquial English.
|Washington Constitution||Const. art. VI, § 1 (amend. 2)|
|Revised Code of Washington (Official)||RCW|
|Revised Code of Washington Annotated (West)||RCWA|
|Annotated Revised Code of Washington (LEXIS)||ARCW|
|Session Laws||Laws of 2002, ch. 107, § 3|
|special sessions||Laws of 1995, 2d Spec. Sess., ch. 14, § 21|
|extraordinary sessions||Laws of 1963, 1st Ex. Sess., ch. 26|
|Washington Reports, 2d Series||Wn.2d|
|Washington Territory Reports||Wash. Terr.|
|Washington Appellate Reports||Wn. App.|
|Washington Administrative Code||WAC|
|Washington State Register||St. Reg.|
|Ballinger Code||Ball. Code|
|Code of 1881||Code of 1881|
|Hill's Code of Procedure||Hill's Code of Proc.|
|Hill's General Statutes||Hill's Gen. Stat.|
|Pierce's Code||Pierce's Code|
|Remington Revised Statutes||Rem. Rev. Stat.|
|Remington's 1915 Code||Rem. 1915 Code|
2. Exception to Bluebook practitioners' note P.6, at 17-18 and rule 8, at 51-53: Ignore these sections. The Reporter's Office generally follows The Chicago Manual of Style to resolve capitalization issues although, other than capitalizing proper nouns and maintaining consistency throughout the opinion, the judicial author's preference governs.
3. Exception to Bluebook practitioners' note P.7, at 18: Cite court documents without parentheses.
4. Exceptions to Bluebook rule 6.2(a) at 49-50: In text, spell out numbers zero to nine. Use arabic numerals for higher numbers. Use commas in numbers 1,000 and higher (e.g., 9,876) except when citing a page number in a case or court document.
5. Exception to Bluebook rule 6.2(d) at 50: In text, always write out "percent" rather than using a percentage sign (%).
6. Exception to Bluebook rule 10.3.1, at 62: Cite official reports and regional reporters for all cases for which official reports are published. For California, Illinois, and New York, include the state specific reporter (Cal. Rptr. 2d, Ill. Dec., N.Y.S.2d) in addition to the official reports and regional reporters.
7. Exception to Bluebook rule 12.3.2, at 80: Do not add the year in parentheses after a citation to a presently effective version of a statute or code.
8. Exception to Bluebook rule 12.8.2, at 85: Do not add "Wash." for codes and ordinances of Washington local governments.
9. Exception to Bluebook table T.1, at 183: Cite United States Supreme Court cases as follows: __U.S. __, __S. Ct. __, __L. Ed. 2d__ (year).
2. Add the following to the list of short citations to cases from the Bluebook practitioners' note P.4, at 15: Smith, 123 Wn.2d 51.
3. Cite a case that, because of an amendment, has a single Wn.2d or Wn. App. citation but two Pacific Reporter citations as follows:
State v. Smith, 123 Wn.2d 45, 895 P.2d 590, 897 P.2d 511 (1994).
Include the year that the opinion was filed, not the year of the amendment.
PREPARATION AND FILING OF BRIEF BY PARTY
(g) [Reserved. See GR 14(d).]
must be in conformity with the form used in current volumes of
the Washington Reports. Decisions of the Supreme Court and of
the Court of Appeals must be cited to the official report
thereof and should include the national reporter citation and
the year of the decision. The citation of other state court
decisions should include both the state and national reporter
citations. The citation of a United States Supreme Court
decision should include the United States Reports, the United
States Supreme Court Reports Lawyers' Edition, and the Supreme
Court Reporter. The citation of a decision of any other
federal court should include the federal reporter citation and
the district of the district court or circuit of the court of
appeals deciding the case. Any citation should include the
year decided and a reference to and citation of any subsequent
decision of the same case.
(h) - (i) Unchanged.
Reviser's note: The typographical error in the above material occurred in the copy filed by the State Supreme Court and appears in the Register pursuant to the requirements of RCW 34.08.040.
Reviser's note: The brackets and enclosed material in the text of the above section occurred in the copy filed by the agency and appear in the Register pursuant to the requirements of RCW 34.08.040.