Date of Adoption: June 11, 2003.
Purpose: Amend campus refund policy, simplifying it. Remove implementing procedures from the policy; they will reside separately in campus procedures.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 495D-135-040.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28B.15.605 and 28B.50.140.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 03-10-063 on May 6, 2003, at 8:29 a.m.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
June 12, 2003
L. Michael Metke, Ed.D
(1) A full refund of general tuition fees, operating fees, special course/program connected fees, and services and activities fees will be made if the student has properly withdrawn prior to the first class session.
(2) A full refund will be made when courses or programs are cancelled by the college.
(3) Upon withdrawal or termination from a state-supported course on or after the first day of instruction and prior to the sixth day of instruction of the regular quarter or registration period for which the tuition and fees have been paid or are due, an eighty percent refund will be made. When a registration is for a first-time federally funded student, his or her refund will be calculated on a pro rata basis consistent with applicable federal rules.
(4) Upon withdrawal or termination from a state-supported course after the fifth day of instruction and up to the twentieth calendar day of the regular quarter or registration period for which the tuition and fees have been paid or are due, a fifty percent refund will be made. When a registration is for a first-time federally funded student, his or her refund will be calculated on a pro rata basis consistent with applicable federal rules.
(5) Refunds for withdrawals or terminations from state-supported courses that start after the regular quarter begins, or from state-supported short courses, shall be made in proportion to the amounts prescribed in subsections (3) and (4) of this section. However, the college will use the start date of the student's longest course or registration period during the regular quarter when calculating refunds upon the student's withdrawal from all courses. Refunds will be made prior to the second scheduled class meeting for self-supported courses, except that refunds will be made only prior to a single-session self-supported course.
(6) Refund requests must be made in person or in writing. Refund requests may not be made by telephone.
(7) Refund processing procedures shall be established by the president.
(8) Exceptions may be made at the president's discretion for students who withdraw for bona fide medical reasons or when called into the military service.
(9) The college may charge a registration or transfer fee set by the president for registration or transfer processing.
(10) Refunds of less than five dollars will not be made.
(11) Students who have paid fees for equipment or material which have a return/refund value must obtain written verification and approval on an appropriate form from the instructor or staff person who is responsible for the return/refund.
(12) Fees which are nonrefundable and not subject to this policy will be set by the president and identified as such in the quarterly course schedule and/or course announcement.)) It shall be the policy of Lake Washington Technical College that students shall receive refunds of tuition and fees in a fair and equitable manner in accordance with policy expressed in state law. Further, all applicable federal laws and regulations will be observed and implemented when doing so is necessary to maintain eligibility for federal funding of programs, as allowed by state law.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140. 00-03-030, § 495D-135-040, filed 1/12/00, effective 2/12/00; 95-17-052, § 495D-135-040, filed 8/14/95, effective 9/14/95; 93-19-075, § 495D-135-040, filed 9/14/93, effective 10/15/93; 93-01-084, § 495D-135-040, filed 12/15/92, effective 1/15/93.]