Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 03-09-086.
Title of Rule: WAC 180-78A-250 Approval standard -- Professional education advisory board.
Purpose: The proposed amendment to this rule will require teacher professional education advisory boards to review annually summaries of performance by teacher candidates on the pedagogy assessment.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Summary: See Purpose above.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: See Purpose above.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Larry Davis, State Board of Education, Olympia, (360) 725-6024.
Name of Proponent: State Board of Education.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: See Purpose above.
Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: See Purpose above.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not applicable.
RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption. Not applicable.
Hearing Location: Centralia School District, 2320 Borst Avenue, Centralia, WA 98531-0610, on August 20, 2003, at 8:30 a.m.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Laura Moore by August 6, 2003, TDD (360) 664-3631 or (360) 725-6027.
Submit Written Comments to: Rules Coordinator, State Board of Education, P.O. Box 47206, Olympia, WA 98504-7206, fax (360) 586-2357, by August 6, 2003.
Date of Intended Adoption: August 22, 2003.
June 30, 2003
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 02-18-037, filed 8/26/02, effective 9/26/02)
WAC 180-78A-250 Approval standard -- Professional education advisory board. Building on the mission to prepare educators who demonstrate a positive impact on student learning, the following evidence shall be evaluated to determine whether each preparation program is in compliance with the program approval standards of WAC 180-78A-220(1):
(1) The professional education advisory board has been established in accordance with WAC 180-78A-209.
(2) The professional education advisory board has adopted operating procedures and has met at least four times a year.
(3) The professional education advisory board has reviewed all program approval standards at least once every five years.
(4) The professional education advisory board annually
has reviewed follow-up studies ((
and)), placement records, and
summaries of performance on the pedagogy assessment for
(5) The professional education advisory board has made recommendations when appropriate for program changes to the institution which must in turn consider and respond to the recommendations in writing in a timely fashion.
(6) The professional education advisory board annually has seen, reviewed and approved an executive summary of the activities of the professional education advisory board. The college or university has submitted the approved executive summary to the state board of education.
(7) The professional education advisory board for administrator preparation programs participated in the candidate selection process for principal preparation programs.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 and 28A.410.010. 02-18-037, § 180-78A-250, filed 8/26/02, effective 9/26/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 01-13-106, § 180-78A-250, filed 6/20/01, effective 7/21/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) and (2), 28A.410.010 and 28A.150.220(4). 99-01-174, § 180-78A-250, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99.]