Date of Adoption: October 6, 2003.
Purpose: These rules implement changes in providing funding for salary bonuses to teachers who attain certification by the national board for professional teaching standards. The legislature has removed the previous four-year eligibility limit for those teachers to receive an annual bonus. Teachers who hold the certificate during the 2003-04 or 2004-05 school years are eligible for the bonus.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 392-140-974.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.150.290(1).
Other Authority: Section 513(11) of ESSB 5404 (the 2003-05 state operating budget).
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 03-17-059 on August 18, 2003.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making:
Pilot Rule Making:
or Other Alternative Rule Making:
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
October 6, 2003
Dr. Terry Bergeson
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 02-15-023, filed 7/9/02, effective 8/9/02)
WAC 392-140-974 Salary bonus for teachers who attain certification by the national board -- Administrative procedures. (1) School districts that employ teachers eligible for the salary bonus shall report those employees to the office of superintendent of public instruction by submitting Form SPI 1525 for each individual.
(2) Districts shall document each teacher's eligibility by maintaining on file for audit a copy of the teacher's national board certification notice and, if the teacher is not shown on Report S-275, evidence of employment and duties assigned.
(3) Report forms received by the superintendent of public instruction by the 15th of the month shall be paid in that month's apportionment and displayed on Report 1197, in revenue account 4158.
(4) For each candidate, the superintendent of public instruction shall send the district the amount of the salary bonus set in the operating appropriations act plus an amount for the district's (employer) portion of social security benefits.
(5) The district shall pay the bonus to the employee in a lump sum amount on a supplemental contract pursuant to RCW 28A.400.200.
(6) The salary bonus is excluded from the definition of "earnable compensation" under RCW 41.32.010(10).
(7) Teachers achieving certification by the national
board for professional teaching standards shall receive the
salary bonus for no more than four years.))
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.150.290(2) and 2001 c 7 § 514(12). 02-15-023, § 392-140-974, filed 7/9/02, effective 8/9/02.]