WSR 03-24-056



(Economic Services Administration)

[ Filed December 1, 2003, 10:44 a.m. ]

Original Notice.

Exempt from preproposal statement of inquiry under RCW 34.05.310(4).

Title of Rule: Amending WAC 388-454-0010 Do I have to be related to a child in order to get TANF or SFA for the child?

Purpose: Correcting the reference listed in subsection (2)(a) - RCW 26.26.040 to chapter 26.26 RCW.

Other Identifying Information: Rules that only correct typographical errors, make address or name changes, or clarify language of a rule without changing its effect are exempt from the requirement to file a CR-101 Preproposal statement of inquiry, RCW 34.05.310(4).

Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057.

Statute Being Implemented: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057.

Summary: Correcting a cross-reference in WAC 388-454-0010 (2)(b).

Reasons Supporting Proposal: Use of correct-reference in WAC.

Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Patti Clark, 1009 College S.E., Lacey, WA 98504, (360) 413-3084.

Name of Proponent: Department of Social and Health Services, governmental.

Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.

Explanation of Rule, its Purpose, and Anticipated Effects: Rule: See Purpose, Summary, and Reasons Supporting Proposal above.

Purpose and Effect: Correction for clarification.

Proposal Changes the Following Existing Rules: Corrects an obsolete cross-reference.

No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. This proposed rule does not have an economic impact on small businesses, it only affects DSHS clients.

RCW 34.05.328 does not apply to this rule adoption. These amendments are exempt as allowed under RCW 34.05.328 (5)(b)(iv), rules that only correct typographical errors, make address or name changes, or clarify language of a rule without changing its effect.

Hearing Location: Blake Office Park (behind Goodyear Courtesy Tire), 4500 10th Avenue S.E., Rose Room, Lacey, WA 98503, on January 6, 2004, at 10:00 a.m.

Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Andy Fernando, DSHS Rules Coordinator, by January 2, 2004, phone (360) 664-6094, TTY (360) 664-6178, e-mail

Submit Written Comments to: Identify WAC Numbers, DSHS Rules Coordinator, Rules and Policies Assistance Unit, mail to P.O. Box 45850, Olympia, WA 98504-5850, deliver to 4500 10th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA, fax (360) 664-6185, e-mail, by 5:00 p.m., January 6, 2004.

Date of Intended Adoption: Not earlier than January 7, 2004.

November 25, 2003

Brian H. Lindgren, Manager

Rules and Policies Assistance Unit

AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 01-03-121, filed 1/22/01, effective 3/1/01)

WAC 388-454-0010   Do I have to be related to a child in order to get TANF or SFA for the child?   To get TANF or SFA, a child must live with a parent, other relative, court-ordered guardian, court-ordered custodian, or other adult acting in loco parentis.

(1) We consider the following people as parents for TANF and SFA:

(a) The child's natural or adoptive parent; or

(b) A stepparent who is legally obligated to support the child.

(2) We consider a man as a child's natural father if the relationship is:

(a) Made under a judgment or order under RCW 26.26.130 that set the relationship between the parent and child; or

(b) Presumed under the Uniform Parentage Act (chapter 26.26 RCW ((26.26.040))).

(3) When a child lives with a relative, the relative must be one of the following relationships to the child in order for that child to be eligible for TANF or SFA:

(a) The following blood relatives (including relatives of half blood) or their spouses: Siblings, first cousins (including first cousins once removed), nephews and nieces, and persons of earlier generations (including aunts, uncles and grandparents) as shown by the prefixes of great, great-great, or great-great-great;

(b) A natural parent whose parental rights were terminated by a court order;

(c) A stepparent who no longer has to support the child because:

(i) The child's natural or adoptive parent died; or

(ii) Divorce or dissolution ended the marriage between the stepparent and the child's natural or adoptive parent.

(d) A step sibling even if the marriage between the step sibling's parent and the child's natural or adoptive parent ended by death, divorce or dissolution.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.057, 2000 2nd sp.s. c 1. 01-03-121, 388-454-0010, filed 1/22/01, effective 3/1/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. 98-16-044, 388-454-0010, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98.]

Legislature Code Reviser 


Washington State Code Reviser's Office