Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 04-08-056.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 180-79A-123 Certificates -- Previous standards.
Hearing Location(s): Hyak Lodge, Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, on May 11, 2005, at 8:30 a.m.
Date of Intended Adoption: May 12, 2005.
Submit Written Comments to: Larry Davis, Executive Director, P.O. Box 47206, Olympia, WA 98504-7206, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (360) 586-2357, by April 27, 2005.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Laura Moore, Executive Assistant, by April 27, 2005, TTY (360) 664-3631 or (360) 725-6025.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The proposed amendment to WAC 180-79A-123 provides an opportunity for an individual whose initial certificate expired after August 31, 2000, and who met requirements for renewal of the initial certificate or the continuing certificate prior to the expiration date of the certificate, but who did not apply for renewal or the continuing certificate prior to the expiration date, to apply once for a renewed initial or a continuing certificate by paying a $100 late fee in addition to the renewal or continuing certificate fee.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: See Purpose above.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.010.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: State Board of Education, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Larry Davis, State Board of Education, Olympia, Washington, (360) 725-6025.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. Not applicable.
A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328. Not applicable.
March 25, 2005
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 00-09-048, filed 4/14/00, effective 5/15/00)
WAC 180-79A-123 Certificates -- Previous standards. (1) Certificates issued under previous standards which were issued for a specific term shall continue to be effective for that term.
(2) Certificates issued under previous standards which were issued for an indefinite period shall continue to be in effect.
(3) All persons who hold any standard teacher, administrator, or specialized personnel certificate issued under previous standards of the state board of education shall be issued a continuing certificate at such time as it is necessary for them to reissue a standard certificate or on application and payment of the fee as specified in WAC 180-79A-130.
(4) Any person who holds a provisional principal's or provisional superintendent's certificate under previous standards of the state board of education shall be issued upon application, including payment of applicable fees, continuing administrative for the appropriate role and such certificates shall be subject to the continuing education requirements of chapter 180-85 WAC.
(5) Any person holding a provisional certificate as a school nurse under provisions of chapter 180-84 WAC shall be granted a continuing certificate.
(6) All persons who hold a valid initial certificate granted under previous standards of the state board of education shall be authorized to meet requirements for continuing certification as set forth in the relevant previous standards except as noted below in subsection (7) of this section.
(7) Any person with a valid initial teacher's certificate granted under previous standards of the state board of education may renew that certificate once after August 31, 2000. The individual shall meet requirements for and apply for the continuing certificate by the expiration date on the renewed certificate or meet requirements for the residency certificate for further certification: Provided, That any person who qualified for initial renewal or continuing certificate under the provisions of WAC 180-79A-250(1) prior to their expiration date, but whose initial certificate expired after August 31, 2000, because they applied for certification too late, may apply once for such renewal or continuing certificate and will be issued such certificate.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 00-09-048, § 180-79A-123, filed 4/14/00, effective 5/15/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) and (2), 28A.410.010 and 28A.150.220(4). 99-01-174, § 180-79A-123, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99.]