WSR 05-13-171



(Economic Services Administration)

[ Filed June 21, 2005, 4:15 p.m. ]

Original Notice.

Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 05-07-130.

Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 388-412-0025 How do I get my benefits?

Hearing Location(s): Blake Office Park East (behind Goodyear Courtesy Tire), Rose Room, 4500 10th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA, on July 26, 2005, at 10:00 a.m.

Date of Intended Adoption: Not earlier than July 27, 2005.

Submit Written Comments to: DSHS Rules Coordinator, P.O. Box 45850, Olympia, WA 98504, delivery 4500 10th Avenue S.E., Lacey, WA, e-mail, fax (360) 664-6185, by 5:00 p.m., July 26, 2005.

Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Stephanie Schiller, DSHS Rules Consultant, by July 22, 2005, TTY (360) 664-6178 or phone (360) 664-6097 or by e-mail at

Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: This rule is being changed to simplify language and replace an incorrect Department of Revenue phone number.

Reasons Supporting Proposal: See above.

Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, 74.08.090.

Statute Being Implemented: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, 74.08.090.

Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.

Name of Proponent: Department of Social and Health Services, governmental.

Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Mark Neal, 1009 College S.E., Lacey, WA 98504, (360) 725-4605.

No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. This proposed rule does not have an economic impact on small businesses, it only affects DSHS clients by outlining the rules clients must meet in order to be eligible for the department's cash assistance or food benefit programs.

A cost-benefit analysis is not required under RCW 34.05.328. These amendments are exempt as allowed under RCW 34.05.328 (5)(b)(vii) which states in-part, "[t]his section does not apply to...rules of the department of social and health services relating only to client medical or financial eligibility and rules concerning liability for care of dependents."

June 16, 2005

Andy Fernando, Manager

Rules and Policies Assistance Unit

AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 03-22-038, filed 10/28/03, effective 12/1/03)

WAC 388-412-0025   How do I get my benefits?   (1) Your cash benefits are sent to you by either:

(a) Electronic benefit transfer (EBT)((, electronic benefits)) card, which is a direct deposit into a DSHS account that you access with a debit card called the Washington EBT Quest card;

(b) Electronic funds transfer (EFT), which is a direct deposit into your own bank account;

(c) A check to a payee who is not approved for direct deposit; or

(((b))) (d) A check to you if you get:

(i) Diversion cash assistance (DCA) that cannot be paid directly to a vendor;

(ii) Additional requirements for emergent needs (AREN) that cannot be paid directly to a vendor;

(iii) Ongoing additional requirements (OAR) that cannot be paid directly to a vendor;

(iv) Clothing and personal incidentals (CPI) payments; or

(v) State supplemental payment (SSP) and you do not receive your benefit through EFT.

(2) You use a Quest debit card to access your benefits in your EBT account. You get a personal identification number (PIN) that you must enter when using this card.

(3) Your Basic Food benefits are deposited into your EBT account ((under time frames)) on the day of the month defined in WAC 388-412-0020.

(4) We establish an EBT account for each AU that receives their benefits by EBT.

(5) We cancel your cash and Basic Food ((are canceled)) benefits when you do not use your EBT ((benefits)) account for three hundred sixty-five days.

(a) ((We cannot replace)) Basic Food benefits that were canceled because ((they were not used)) you did not use them for three hundred sixty-five days cannot be replaced.

(b) Cash benefits that were canceled because you did not use them for three hundred sixty-five days may be replaced. You have two years to contact the department of revenue in order to replace your cash benefits. You can contact department of revenue at ((1-800-435-2429)) 1-888-328-9271. After that time, you must contact the state treasurer to claim any canceled funds.

(6) You must use your cash and Basic Food benefits from your EBT account. We do not convert cash or Basic Food benefits to checks.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510. 03-22-038, 388-412-0025, filed 10/28/03, effective 12/1/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.510 and 74.08.090. 02-18-105, 388-412-0025, filed 9/3/02, effective 10/4/02; 01-18-054, 388-412-0025, filed 8/30/01, effective 9/30/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. 98-16-044, 388-412-0025, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98.]

Washington State Code Reviser's Office