July - December 2005
1. Road Maintenance and Abandonment Plans: The board will consider rule making on August 10, 2005. The board will conduct public hearings during September and October to receive public testimony prior to adopting permanent rule language in spring 2006. The rules implement changes to the small forest landowner road maintenance and abandonment planning requirements contained in 2SHB 1095 passed by the 2003 legislature.
2. Other Legislative Mandated Changes: Legislation passed during the 2001 session that will require rule making includes SB 5497 relating to forestland definition. The board will consider rule making on August 10, 2005.
3. Upland Wildlife: The board, with the Department of Fish and Wildlife, is conducting a comprehensive review of the forest practices rules and science for upland wildlife protection and development of cooperative management planning processes. This review and planning process, along with new species listing and the designation of critical habitat may result in a rule proposal.
4. Aquatic Resources: Forests and Fish Policy will review results from scientific research for possible rule modifications.
5. Rule Clarification: The current permanent rules are being reviewed for clarification changes. This may result in a rule proposal.
Contact Person: Patricia Anderson, Forest Practices Board, Rules Coordinator, Department of Natural Resources, Forest Practices Division, P.O. Box 47012, Olympia, WA 98504-7012, phone (360) 902-1413, fax (360) 902-1428, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.