WSR 05-17-108



[ Filed August 16, 2005, 2:42 p.m. ]



The Washington Attorney General issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the Attorney General's Office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest by September 14, 2005. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the Attorney General's Office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the Attorney General's Office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the Attorney General's Opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The Attorney General's Office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s):

05-08-05 Request by:
Karl F. Sloan
Okanogan County Prosecuting Attorney

1. Does a properly permitted off-road vehicle (ORV) displaying a current ORV tag qualify as a "licensed" vehicle that may be operated over and along a public highway?

2. In the alternative, is an ORV that has a valid ORV use permit displaying a current ORV tag prohibited from operating over and along a public highway in the state of Washington?

3. Can a city, county, or other political subdivision of this state adopt regulations or ordinances to permit the operation of ORVs on streets or highways within its boundaries, where those streets or highways are "public highways" or are open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office