WSR 06-01-002


[ Filed December 7, 2005, 3:21 p.m. ]



     The Washington attorney general issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the attorney general's office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the attorney general's office of your interest by January 11, 2006. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the attorney general's office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the attorney general's office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the attorney general's opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

     The attorney general's office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

05-12-01 Request by Norm Maleng
King County Prosecutor

     1. Does RCW 29A.08.830 require a voter challenger to provide the voter's residential address when the challenger is not challenging the voter's residency, but is instead alleging that the voter is either unqualified to vote or has provided legally deficient information at the time of registration? 2. Do county auditors and elections directors have the inherent authority to administratively address a known deficiency in the voter rolls by canceling a registration without a hearing after contacting the voter and receiving no response, or is the only manner to correct the voter rolls the voter challenge hearing process set forth in RCW 29A.08.830?