The department of revenue has issued the following property tax advisory (PTA):
Property Tax Advisory 11.1.2006 (Application of the Federal Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act and the Washington Service Members' Civil Relief Act to Property Tax Administration).
This advisory explains the relief available to active military personnel and their families. Topics of the advisory include:
1. Relief from foreclosure or sale of a service member's property;
2. Relief from some penalties and interest on delinquent property tax obligations;
3. Temporary relief from any tax or assessment through court proceedings;
4. Relief for personal property of nonresident military personnel;
5. Taxation of mobile homes owned by nonresident military personnel.
Copies of the document are available via the internet at http://dor.wa.gov/content/taxes/Property/prop_rnls.aspx#property, or a request for copies may be directed to Velinda Brown, Property Tax Division, P.O. Box 47471, Olympia, WA 98504-7471, phone (360) 570-5865, fax (360) 586-7602.
The department has cancelled the following property tax advisory:
Property Tax Advisory 11.0.2003 (Application of the Soldier's and Sailors' Relief Act of 1940 to Property Tax Administration).
The new advisory updates references from the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940 to the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act as amended affective December 19, 2003.
Alan R. Lynn