WSR 06-15-108



[ Filed July 18, 2006, 10:13 a.m. ]



The Washington attorney general issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the attorney general's office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the attorney general's office of your interest by August 9, 2006. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the attorney general's office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the attorney general's office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the attorney general's opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The attorney general's office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

06-07-01 Request by Brian Sullivan
State Representative, 21st District

1. Is it allowable for a city to use RCW 82.46.010(3) to eliminate their optional sales tax, increase their REET (real estate excise tax), and still receive, from a county, any portion of the optional sales tax they were statutorily required to give up?

2. Is the Department of Revenue correct in its assessment that, should a city give up the optional portion of their general sales tax under RCW 82.46.010(3), it would instead flow to the county?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office