WSR 06-17-149


[ Filed August 22, 2006, 3:10 p.m. ]



The Washington attorney general issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the attorney general's office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the attorney general's office of your interest by September 13, 2006. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the attorney general's office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the attorney general's office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the attorney general's opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

The attorney general's office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s).

06-08-01 Request by Dawn Morrell
State Representative, 25th District

1. Are individuals in the business of purchasing scrap metal for the purpose of recycling the scrap metal required to abide by the provisions of RCW 19.60.020 and RCW 19.60.040 as they relate to the collection of information and the filing of reports to law enforcement

2. Are the existing definitions of "metal junk" and "second-hand property" sufficiently expansive to include scrap metal being purchased for further processing and recycling?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office