Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: The purpose of this rule making is to eliminate the two-denial requirement in the definition of "applicant" because it is now an unnecessary, burdensome, and inappropriate eligibility requirement. This rule making is the result of a petition from the administrator of the United States Longshore and Harbor Workers (USL&H) Plan.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 284-22-050.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 48.02.060 and 48.22.070.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 06-19-104 on September 20, 2006.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: November 29, 2006.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Matter No. R 2001-10, filed 1/13/03, effective 2/13/03)
WAC 284-22-050 Definitions. (1) "Administrator" means any organization designated by the assigned risk plan and approved by the commissioner to provide administrative support for the plan. Such support shall be defined by the governing committee in its operating plan. It may include, but is not limited to, acceptance, processing, and distribution of incoming applications to the servicing carrier(s), collection of and accounting for premium income, determination of assigned risk plan reserves, investment of assigned risk plan assets, collection of statistical data, actuarial assistance for rate making, development of policy contracts, and auditing the activities of servicing carrier(s) to ensure that the assigned risk plan's rules are being applied properly.
(2) "Applicant" means an employer, seeking coverage from
the assigned risk plan, who has, in good faith, ((
been unable to purchase United States Longshore and Harbor
Workers' Compensation Act coverage from (( at least two of
the)) authorized insurers writing such coverage in Washington
(( and has been declined such coverage by all insurers from
which it has sought coverage)). "Applicant" does not include
employers seeking coverage through the plan solely because of
the lack of availability of maritime employers' liability
(3) "Authorized insurer" means any insurance company licensed to write workers' compensation insurance on a direct basis in this state.
(4) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of insurance of the state of Washington.
(5) "Governing committee" means the committee responsible for administering the assigned risk plan. It shall consist of thirteen members, who shall be appointed by the commissioner. The director of the department of labor and industries shall be one member. The remaining members shall be selected to insure equal representation of each of the following interest groups; authorized insurers writing primary or excess workers' compensation insurance, insurance producers, organized labor, and maritime employers.
(6) "Maritime employers' liability" means that liability imposed by 46 U.S.C. 688 (the Jones Act) and general maritime law for bodily injury including death of a master or member of the crew of any vessel.
(7) "Servicing carrier" means any authorized insurer designated by the assigned risk plan and approved by the commissioner and the United States Department of Labor to issue workers' compensation policies. It shall issue policies on behalf of the assigned risk plan, provide safety engineering, handle claims incurred by those covered by the assigned risk plan, provide premium audits, perform underwriting functions, and perform other duties as defined by the governing committee in its operating procedures.
(8) "State industrial insurance fund" means that entity defined in RCW 51.08.175 which provides primary workers' compensation insurance on a direct basis in this state.
(9) "United States longshore and harbor workers' compensation coverage" means that workers' compensation coverage required of employers by the United States Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act, 33 U.S.C. Secs. 901 through 950. It is hereinafter referred to as USL&H coverage.
(10) "Written premium" means gross direct premiums (excluding premiums on risks written ceded to the assigned risk plan), within the state of Washington, charged during the first preceding calendar year with respect to United States Longshore and Harbor Workers' insurance, less return premiums, dividends paid or credited to policyholders, or the unused or unabsorbed portions of premium deposits.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060 and 48.22.070. 03-03-052 (Matter No. R 2001-10), § 284-22-050, filed 1/13/03, effective 2/13/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060. 93-20-019 (Order R 93-17), § 284-22-050, filed 9/24/93, effective 10/25/93. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060 and 1992 c 209. 92-19-095 (Order R 92-12), § 284-22-050, filed 9/16/92, effective 10/17/92.]