PREPROPOSAL STATEMENT OF INQUIRY
SOCIAL AND HEALTH SERVICES
(Health and Recovery Services Administration)
Subject of Possible Rule Making: WAC 388-533-0390 Childbirth education.
Statutes Authorizing the Agency to Adopt Rules on this Subject: RCW 74.08.090 Rule-making authority and enforcement and RCW 74.09.760 through 74.09.910 Maternity Care Access Act of 1989.
Reasons Why Rules on this Subject may be Needed and What They Might Accomplish: The department is amending these rules to:
(1) Break WAC 388-533-0390 into smaller sections (example: WAC 388-533-0391, 388-533-0392, 388-533-0393, 388-533-0394, and 388-533-0395);
(2) Remove all references to the social services payment system (SSPS);
(3) Change all references from "the medical assistance administration (MAA)" to "the department;"
(4) Clarify the department's policy on payment of childbirth education when delivered as a refresher course; and
(5) Expand coverage to include payment for "refresher courses."
During the course of this review, the department may identify additional changes that are required in order to improve clarity or update policy.
Other Federal and State Agencies that Regulate this Subject and the Process Coordinating the Rule with These Agencies: Department of health, maternity infant health, first steps.
Process for Developing New Rule: The department invites the interested public to review and provide input on the draft language of this rule. Draft material and information about how to participate may be obtained from the department representative listed below.
Interested parties can participate in the decision to adopt the new rule and formulation of the proposed rule before publication by contacting Wendy L. Boedigheimer, Rules Program Manager, 626 8th Avenue S.E., Mailstop 45504, Olympia, WA 98504-5504, phone (360) 725-1306, fax (360) 586-9727, TTY 1-800-848-5429, e-mail email@example.com.
January 12, 2007
Jim Schnellman, Chief
Office of Administrative Resources