Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: These permanent amendments to WAC 284-07-050 clarify quarterly financial statement filing dates. These amendments further the commissioner's commitment to update TITLE 284 WAC to improve clarity and efficiency.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 284-07-050.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 48.02.060, 48.44.500, and 48.46.200.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 07-09-100 on April 18, 2007.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: July 2, 2007.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Matter No. R 2002-07, filed 10/23/02, effective 11/23/02)
WAC 284-07-050 Financial statement instructions. (1) For the purpose of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) "Insurer" shall have the same meaning as set forth in RCW 48.01.050. It also includes health care service contractors registered under chapter 48.44 RCW and health maintenance organizations registered under chapter 48.46 RCW, and fraternal benefit societies registered under chapter 48.36A RCW.
(b) "Insurance" shall have the same meaning as set forth in RCW 48.01.040. It also includes prepayment of health care services as set forth in RCW 48.44.010(3) and prepayment of comprehensive health care services as set forth in RCW 48.46.020(1).
(2) Each authorized insurer is required to file with the commissioner an annual statement for the previous calendar year in the general form and context as promulgated by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for the kinds of insurance to be reported upon, and shall also file a copy thereof with the NAIC. To effectuate RCW 48.05.250, 48.05.400, 48.36A.260, 48.44.095 and 48.46.080 and to enhance consistency in the accounting treatment accorded various kinds of insurance transactions, the valuation of assets, and related matters, insurers shall adhere to the appropriate Annual Statement Instructions and the Accounting Practices and Procedures Manuals promulgated by the NAIC.
(3) This section does not relieve an insurer from its
obligation to comply with specific requirements of the
insurance code or rules ((
(4) Annual statements:
Until December 31, 2002, for domestic insurers, the
statements are to be filed in triplicate to assist with public
viewing and copying. Two statements must be permanently bound
on the left side. The third statement must be unbound. The
statements are to be filed in the Olympia office.
(b) Until December 31, 2002, for foreign insurers, except for health care service contractors and health maintenance organizations, one statement shall be filed in the Olympia office. For health care service contractors and health maintenance organizations, two left side permanently bound and one unbound statement shall be filed in the Olympia office to assist with public viewing and copying.
(c) After December 31, 2002,)) Annual statements for all
and foreign)) insurers must be filed electronically
with the commissioner. (( This includes the annual statement
for the year ended December 31, 2002.)) Insurers must
electronically transmit the annual statement, as described in
subsection (2) of this section, in PDF or other format as
noted on the commissioner's web site. The commissioner has
the discretion to allow an insurer to file annual statements
on paper. The insurer must demonstrate that filing in
electronic form will create an undue financial hardship for
the insurer. Applications for permission to file on paper
must be received by the commissioner at least ninety days
before the annual statement is due.
(d))) (b) To comply with statutory requirements that
annual statements must be verified by the oaths of at least
two of the insurer's officers, insurers may:
(i) Use a method of electronic signature verification that has been approved by the commissioner for use by the insurer; or
(ii) File a paper copy of the signature and jurat page of
the annual statement at the time of the electronic filing of
the annual statement. This paper copy must contain the
original signature of the company officers and the notary
administering the oath. ((
A foreign insurer may use facsimile
signatures or reproductions of original signatures for its
(e))) (c) Both the electronic annual statement and the verification of that statement by the oaths of two officers must be received by the commissioner to complete an annual statement filing. The date of receipt of the later of the electronic annual statement or verification is considered the receipt date of the annual statement.
(5)(a) Each domestic insurer shall file quarterly
statements of its financial condition with the commissioner
and with the NAIC. Each foreign insurer shall file quarterly
statements of its financial condition with the NAIC. The
commissioner may require a foreign insurer to file quarterly
statements with the commissioner whenever, in the
commissioner's discretion, there is a need to more closely
monitor the financial activities of the foreign insurer. The
statements shall be filed in the commissioner's office not
later than the forty-fifth day or the fifteenth day of the
second month after the end of the insurer's calendar quarters,
whichever is later. The quarterly statements shall be in the
form and content as promulgated by the NAIC for quarterly
reporting by insurers, shall be prepared according to
appropriate Annual and Quarterly Statement Instructions and
the Accounting Practices and Procedures Manuals promulgated by
the NAIC and shall be supplemented with additional information
required by this title and by the commissioner. ((
statement is to be completed and filed in the same manner and
places as the annual statement.)) Quarterly statements for
the fourth quarter are not required.
(b) Quarterly statements((
, beginning with the statement
for the quarter ended March 31, 2003,)) must be filed with the
commissioner by electronically transmitting the quarterly
statement as described in this subsection, in PDF or other
format as noted on the commissioner's web site.
(6) As a part of any investigation by the commissioner, the commissioner may require an insurer to file monthly financial statements whenever, in the commissioner's discretion, there is a need to more closely monitor the financial activities of the insurer. Monthly financial statements shall be filed in the commissioner's office no later than the twenty-fifth day of the month following the month for which the financial statement is being filed. Such monthly financial statements shall be the internal financial statements of the company. In addition, the commissioner may require these internal financial statements to be accompanied by a schedule converting the financial statements to reflect financial position according to statutory accounting practices and submitted in a form using the same format and designation as the insurer's quarterly financial statements of insurers. "Financial statements" as used in this subsection includes:
(a) Statement of assets;
(b) Liabilities, capital and surplus;
(c) Statements of revenue and expenses; and
(d) Statements of cash flows.
(7) Health care service contractors shall use the Health Statement Form promulgated by the NAIC for their statutory filings.
(8) Each health care service contractor's and health maintenance organization's annual statement shall be accompanied by an additional data statement form (IC-13A-HC/IC-14-HMO).
(9) The commissioner may allow a reasonable extension of the time for filing the financial statements. A request for an extension must be in writing. The request must be received prior to the due date of the filing and must state good cause for the extension. An extension can only be granted in writing; paper, fax, or e-mail is considered "writing" for purposes of this subsection.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060, 48.44.050, and 48.46.200. 02-21-120 (Matter No. R 2002-07), § 284-07-050, filed 10/23/02, effective 11/23/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060, 48.05.073, 48.44.050, 48.46.200. 01-11-077 (Matter No. R 2000-09), § 284-07-050, filed 5/15/01, effective 6/15/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060, 48.44.050 and 48.46.200. 99-16-035 (Matter No. R - 99-3), § 284-07-050, filed 7/28/99, effective 8/28/99; 96-17-079 (Matter No. R 95-18), § 284-07-050, filed 8/21/96, effective 9/21/96. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060. 92-19-040 (Order R 92-10), § 284-07-050, filed 9/9/92, effective 10/10/92.]