WSR 08-01-036


[ Filed December 10, 2007, 2:51 p.m. ]



The Washington attorney general issues formal published opinions in response to requests by the heads of state agencies, state legislators, and county prosecuting attorneys. When it appears that individuals outside the attorney general's office have information or expertise that will assist in the preparation of a particular opinion, a summary of that opinion request will be published in the state register. If you are interested in commenting on a request listed in this volume of the register, you should notify the attorney general's office of your interest by January 2, 2008. This is not the due date by which comments must be received. However, if you do not notify the attorney general's office of your interest in commenting on an opinion request by this date, the opinion may be issued before your comments have been received. You may notify the attorney general's office of your intention to comment by calling (360) 664-3027, or by writing to the Solicitor General, Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 40100, Olympia, WA 98504-0100. When you notify the office of your intention to comment, you will be provided with a copy of the opinion request in which you are interested; information about the attorney general's opinion process; information on how to submit your comments; and a due date by which your comments must be received to ensure that they are fully considered.

If you are interested in receiving notice of new formal opinion requests via e-mail, you may visit the attorney general's web site at for more information on how to join our opinions listserv.

The attorney general's office seeks public input on the following opinion request(s):

Opinion Docket No. 07-12-01
Request by Richard Weyrich
Skagit County Prosecutor

Does a county Board of Health acting under RCW 70.05.060 have authority to:

(a) order a public utility district (PUD) to add fluoride to its water system;

(b) order a PUD to fluoridate a discrete portion of its water system, over the PUD's objection;

(c) order one of several water utilities within the county to fluoridate its water system, as opposed to enacting an ordinance of county-wide applicability; or

(d) order a PUD to fluoridate where the order is contingent on funding from a private third party?

Washington State Code Reviser's Office