Preproposal statement of inquiry was filed as WSR 07-19-112.
Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: WAC 181-79A-140 Types of certificates.
Hearing Location(s): Red Lion Hotel, 18220 International Boulevard, Seattle, WA 98188, on March 19, 2008, at 8:30 a.m.
Date of Intended Adoption: March 19, 2008.
Submit Written Comments to: Nasue Nishida, P.O. Box 47236, Olympia, 98504, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (360) 586-4548, by March 10, 2008.
Assistance for Persons with Disabilities: Contact Nasue Nishida by March 10, 2008, TTY (360) 664-3631 or (360) 725-6238.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: The purpose of these changes is to comply with passed legislation in SB 5269.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.410.210 and 28A.410.010.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Professional educator standards board, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting, Implementation and Enforcement: Nasue Nishida, P.O. Box 42736 , Olympia, WA 98504, (360) 725-6238.
No small business economic impact statement has been prepared under chapter 19.85 RCW. The proposed amendment does not have an impact on small business and therefore does not meet the requirements for a statement under RCW 19.85.030 (1) or (2).
A cost-benefit analysis is required under RCW 34.05.328. A preliminary cost-benefit analysis may be obtained by contacting Nasue Nishida, P.O. Box 47236, phone (360) 725-6238, fax (360) 586-4548, e-mail email@example.com.
February 3, 2008
Policy and Research Analyst
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending WSR 07-04-003, filed 1/24/07, effective 2/24/07)
WAC 181-79A-140 Types of certificates. Six types of certificates shall be issued:
(1) Teacher. The teacher certificate, including teacher exchange permits as provided in WAC 181-79A-220, authorizes service as a classroom teacher.
(2) Career and technical. The career and technical education certificate authorizes service in career and technical education programs in accordance with the provisions of chapter 181-77 WAC.
(3) First people's language/culture. The first
people's)) peoples' language(( /)), culture, and oral tribal
traditions teacher certificate authorizes service as defined
under WAC 181-78A-700(8).
(a) The administrator certificate for principal authorizes services as a building administrator or assistant principal.
(b) The administrator certificates for superintendent or program administrator will be issued to persons who meet professional educator standards board certification standards for service in the roles of superintendent or program administrator.
(5) Educational staff associate. The educational staff associate certificate authorizes service in the roles of school speech pathologists or audiologists, school counselors, school nurses, school occupational therapists, school physical therapists, school psychologists, and school social workers: Provided, That nothing within chapter 181-79A WAC authorizes professional practice by an educational staff associate which is otherwise prohibited or restricted by any other law, including licensure statutes and rules and regulations promulgated by the appropriate licensure board or agency.
(6) Limited certificates. The following limited certificates are issued to individuals under specific circumstances set forth in WAC 181-79A-231:
(a) Conditional certificate.
(b) Substitute certificate.
(c) Emergency certificate.
(d) Emergency substitute certificate.
(e) Nonimmigrant alien exchange teacher.
(f) Intern substitute teacher certificate.
(g) Transitional certificate.
(h) Provisional alternative administrative certificate.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.210. 07-04-003, § 181-79A-140, filed 1/24/07, effective 2/24/07; 06-14-010, § 181-79A-140, filed 6/22/06, effective 7/23/06. 06-02-051, recodified as § 181-79A-140, filed 12/29/05, effective 1/1/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 and 28A.410.010. 04-20-092, § 180-79A-140, filed 10/5/04, effective 11/5/04; 02-18-037, § 180-79A-140, filed 8/26/02, effective 9/26/02; 02-13-027, § 180-79A-140, filed 6/12/02, effective 7/13/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130 (1) through (4). 02-04-018, § 180-79A-140, filed 1/24/02, effective 2/24/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 00-13-063, § 180-79A-140, filed 6/16/00, effective 7/17/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010 and 28A.305.130 (1) and (2). 99-23-023, § 180-79A-140, filed 11/9/99, effective 12/10/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.130 (1) and (2), 28A.410.010 and 28A.150.220(4). 99-01-174, § 180-79A-140, filed 12/23/98, effective 1/23/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.410.010. 97-04-088, § 180-79A-140, filed 2/5/97, effective 3/8/97.]