FISH AND WILDLIFE
Effective Date of Rule: Immediately.
Purpose: Amend commercial fishing rules.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Repealing WAC 220-52-07300A; and amending WAC 220-52-073.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 77.12.047.
Under RCW 34.05.350 the agency for good cause finds that immediate adoption, amendment, or repeal of a rule is necessary for the preservation of the public health, safety, or general welfare, and that observing the time requirements of notice and opportunity to comment upon adoption of a permanent rule would be contrary to the public interest.
Reasons for this Finding: Harvestable amounts of red and green sea urchins exist in the areas described. Prohibiting all diving from licensed sea urchin harvest vessels within Sea Urchin District 3 when those vessels have red sea urchin on-board discourages the taking of red urchins from the district (currently closed to red urchin harvest) and reporting the catch to the adjacent harvest district. Prohibiting transport of urchins from Districts 1 and 2 to other districts will prevent spoiling of product, promote accurate catch accounting, and provide for an orderly fishery. Prohibition of all diving from licensed sea urchin harvest vessels prior to scheduled sea urchin openings discourages fishing on closed days and hiding the unlawful catch underwater until the legal opening. There is insufficient time to adopt permanent rules.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 1, Amended 0, Repealed 1.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: December 19, 2008.
(1) Green sea urchins: Sea Urchin Districts 1 and 2 are open only on December 21, 22, 23, and 26, 2008. The maximum daily landing of green sea urchins allowed in Sea Urchin Districts 1 and 2 is 1,000 pounds per valid designated sea urchin harvest vessel. Sea Urchin Districts 3, 4, 6 and 7 are open only on Monday through Thursday of each week.
(2) Red sea urchins: Sea Urchin Districts 1 and 2 are open only on Monday through Friday of each week. Sea Urchin District 4 is only open on Monday through Thursday of each week.
(3) It is unlawful to dive for any purpose from a commercially licensed sea urchin fishing vessel in Sea Urchin District 3 when the vessel has red sea urchins on-board.
(4) Red and green sea urchins harvested in Sea Urchin Districts 1 and 2 must be landed within Sea Urchin Districts 1 and 2.
(5) It is unlawful to dive for any purpose from a commercially licensed sea urchin fishing vessel on Saturday of each week, except by written permission from the interim Director.
The following section of the Washington Administrative Code is repealed effective December 19, 2008:
|WAC 220-52-07300A||Sea urchins. (08-306)|