SOCIAL AND HEALTH SERVICES
(Health and Recovery Services Administration)
Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: To update the citizenship exemptions based on modifications to the Deficit Reduction Act (DRA) final rule and changes to Section 405 (c)(1) of the Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006 (TRHCA); to ensure compliance with federal regulation and prevent jeopardizing federal financial participation in the state's medicaid program.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 388-490-0005.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 74.04.057, 74.08.090, and 74.09.530.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 08-23-099 on November 19, 2008.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 1, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: December 30, 2008.
Stephanie E. Schiller
(1) When you first apply for benefits, the department may require you to provide proof of things that help us decide if you are eligible for benefits. This is also called "verification." The types of things that need to be proven are different for each program.
(2) After that, we will ask you to give us proof when:
(a) You report a change;
(b) We find out that your circumstances have changed; or
(c) The information we have is questionable, confusing, or outdated.
(3) Whenever we ask for proof, we will give you a notice as described in WAC 388-458-0020.
(4) You must give us the proof within the time limits described in:
(a) WAC 388-406-0030 if you are applying for benefits; and
(b) WAC 388-458-0020 if you currently receive benefits.
(5) We will accept any proof that you can easily get when it reasonably supports your statement or circumstances. The proof you give to us must:
(a) Clearly relate to what you are trying to prove;
(b) Be from a reliable source; and
(c) Be accurate, complete, and consistent.
(6) We cannot make you give us a specific type or form of proof.
(7) If the only type of proof that you can get costs money, we will pay for it.
(8) If the proof that you give to us is questionable or confusing, we may:
(a) Ask you to give us more proof, which may include providing a collateral statement. A "collateral statement" is from someone outside of your residence who knows your situation;
(b) Schedule a visit to come to your home and verify your circumstances; or
(c) Send an investigator from the Division of Fraud Investigations (DFI) to make an unannounced visit to your home to verify your circumstances.
(9) By signing the application, eligibility review, or change of circumstances form, you give us permission to contact other people, agencies, or institutions.
(10) If you do not give us all of the proof that we have asked for, we will determine if you are eligible based on the information that we already have. If we cannot determine that you are eligible based on this information, we will deny or stop your benefits.
(11) For all Medicaid programs, you must provide proof of citizenship and identity as specified at Section 6036 of the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 (PL 106-171 amending USC 1396b). Exempt from this requirement are recipients of:
(a) Title IV-B child welfare services, or Title IV-E adoption assistance or foster care payments;
(b) SSI ((
cash)) benefits; (( or))
(b))) (c) Social security benefits (based on their own
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.057, 74.08.090, 74.09.530, and Public Law 109-171, Section 6036. 07-02-066, § 388-490-0005, filed 12/29/06, effective 1/29/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, and 74.04.510. 03-21-029, § 388-490-0005, filed 10/7/03, effective 11/1/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.08.090 and 74.04.510. 00-08-091, § 388-490-0005, filed 4/5/00, effective 5/6/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. 98-16-044, § 388-490-0005, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98. Formerly WAC 388-504-0460.]