Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: WAC 392-122-420 through 392-122-426, Full-day kindergarten program -- Authority, Full-day kindergarten program -- Definitions, Full-day kindergarten program -- Applicable provisions, Full-day kindergarten program -- Determination of eligibility, Full-day kindergarten program -- Applications and approvals, Full-day kindergarten program -- Subsequent determination of eligible schools, Full-day kindergarten program -- Apportionment of state moneys.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending [new sections] WAC 392-122-420 - 392-122-426.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 28A.150.290.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 09-07-020 on March 6, 2009.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 7, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: May 8, 2009.
Randy I. Dorn
FINANCE -- CATEGORICAL APPORTIONMENT
(1) RCW 28A.150.290(1);
(2) RCW 28A.150.315; and
(3) RCW 28A.150.370.
(1) Full-day kindergarten (FDK) means an approved program that is eligible for state-funded full-day kindergarten program as provided for in the annual state operating budget;
(2) Full-time equivalent (FTE) has the same meaning as defined in WAC 392-121-122 (1)(a);
(3) "Poverty percentage" means the percentage of a school building's students who are eligible for the federal free and reduced price lunch (FRPL) as reported to OSPI for the prior school year October reporting.
(1) By June 1st each year the superintendent of public instruction shall develop and publish an eligibility list for FDK for the subsequent school year, pursuant to the legislative limitation parameters in the annual budget bill to include the specified percentage of kindergarten students to be served; which shall be further limited to the estimated annual funding for the full-day kindergarten program, as provided for in the state Operating Appropriations Act.
(2) Poverty percentage is determined as the higher of the following items as reported for October of the previous year:
(a) FRPL reported to child nutritional services at the superintendent of public instruction; or
(b) FRPL reported in the core student records system; or
(c) The percentage of students who qualify as a low-income student based on information provided by the school district that satisfies the requirements established in WAC 392-100-101(2) for those school districts that do not participate in the National School Lunch Program.
(3) Funding amounts per school shall be calculated in accordance with the state Operating Appropriations Act and WAC 392-121-400.
(4) School districts shall receive funding for eligible schools as follows:
(a) For September through December the additional FDK funding amount shall be calculated based upon one-half of the projected FDK enrollment submitted in the annual approved application.
(b) Commencing with the January payment funding shall be based upon the year-to-date (YTD) average FDK enrollment reported by the district less one-half of the YTD average FDK reported headcount.
(c) The remaining one-half of the YTD average FDK reported headcount will be paid under guaranteed entitlement funding on the Report 1191.
(1) Assurances that the school shall comply with all program requirements outlined in RCW 28A.150.315(1);
(2) Assurances that the district can provide the full-day kindergarten program for all children of parents who request it in each eligible school for which the district is including in their application (ref: Section 511(14), chapter 329, Laws of 2008);
(3) A projected estimate of full-day kindergarten enrollment for each applicant school for the application year; and
(4) Any other requirements as established by the office of superintendent of public instruction.
The eligibility for FDK is determined based upon an individual building's student poverty and may not transfer to other buildings or students within the district.
Upon program approval for the full-day kindergarten program, a school shall remain eligible for funding in subsequent school years regardless of changes in the school's percentage of students eligible for FRPL as long as all other program requirements are fulfilled.