Effective Date of Rule: Thirty-one days after filing.
Purpose: These new rules automate the fingerprint process for background checks required as part of the application process for resident licensees.
Citation of Existing Rules Affected by this Order: Amending WAC 284-17-001 and 284-17-055.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 48.02.060 and 48.17.005.
Adopted under notice filed as WSR 12-19-086 on September 18, 2012.
A final cost-benefit analysis is available by contacting Kacy Scott, P.O. Box 40258, Olympia, WA 98504-0258, phone (360) 725-7041, fax (360) 586-3109, e-mail email@example.com.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Comply with Federal Statute: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Federal Rules or Standards: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Recently Enacted State Statutes: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted at Request of a Nongovernmental Entity: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted on the Agency's Own Initiative: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted in Order to Clarify, Streamline, or Reform Agency Procedures: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0.
Number of Sections Adopted Using Negotiated Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; Pilot Rule Making: New 0, Amended 0, Repealed 0; or Other Alternative Rule Making: New 0, Amended 2, Repealed 0.
Date Adopted: October 29, 2012.
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Matter No. R 2011-12, filed 9/13/11, effective 10/14/11)
WAC 284-17-001 Definitions. For purposes of this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Affiliation" is a type of appointment whereby a business entity authorizes an individual insurance producer or surplus line broker to represent it when conducting insurance business.
(2) "Business entity" has the meaning set forth in RCW 48.17.010(2) and includes a sole proprietorship having associated licensees authorized to act on its behalf in the business or trade name of the sole proprietorship.
(3) "Days" means calendar days including Saturday and Sunday and holidays, unless otherwise specified.
(4) "Electronic submission" or "submitted electronically" means submission of a licensing process by an applicant, licensee, insurer, or education provider by means of the commissioner's web site or a third-party licensing provider or other state agency.
(5) "File" means a record in any retrievable format, and unless otherwise specified, includes paper and electronic formats.
(6) "Home state" has the meaning set forth in RCW 48.17.010(4).
(7) "Insurer" has the meaning set forth in RCW 48.17.010(7).
(8) "Licensee" means a person licensed by the commissioner under Title 48 RCW to sell, solicit or negotiate insurance and includes adjusters and surplus line brokers.
(9) "Line of authority" means a license issued in one or more lines of insurance listed in RCW 48.17.170.
(10) "NAIC" means the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
(11) "Third-party licensing provider" is designated on the commissioner's web site at: www.insurance.wa.gov.
(12) "Reinstatement" means the reissuance by the commissioner of a license that was not renewed more than sixty days but fewer than twelve months after its expiration date.
(13) "Resident" means a person who has elected to make Washington his or her home state, or, in the case of a business entity, has a place of business in this state.
(14) "Sending written notice" or "sending a copy of the written notice" means transmitting the required information in writing and, where required, on forms designated by the commissioner for that purpose, via first class mail, commercial parcel delivery company, telefacsimile, or electronic transmission, unless a specific method of transmission is specified.
(15) "Surety" means that limited line of authority of insurance or bond that covers obligations to pay the debts of, or answer for the default of another, including faithlessness in a position of public or private trust.
(16) "Travel insurance" means that limited line of authority of insurance coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, baggage, life, sickness and accident, disability, and personal effects when limited to a specific trip and sold in connection with transportation provided by a common carrier.
(17) "Written" or "in writing" means any retrievable method of recording an agreement or document, and, unless otherwise specified, includes paper and electronic formats.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060 (3)(a) and 48.17.005. 11-19-040 (Matter No. R 2011-12), § 284-17-001, filed 9/13/11, effective 10/14/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.15.015 and 48.17.005. 11-04-067 (Matter No. R 2010-07), § 284-17-001, filed 1/28/11, effective 2/28/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060, 48.17.005. 09-02-073 (Matter No. R 2008-06), § 284-17-001, filed 1/6/09, effective 7/1/09.]
(2) Beginning June 1, 2011, all license renewals, both individual and business entity, must be submitted electronically.
(3) Beginning July 1, 2011, all applications for licenses, including affiliations, must be submitted electronically.
(4) Beginning July 1, 2011, all processes determined by the commissioner to be exclusive on-line licensing processes must be completed electronically through the commissioner's web site or through a third-party licensing provider. A list of exclusive on-line licensing processes is available on the commissioner's web site at: www.insurance.wa.gov.
(5) Beginning February 1, 2013, all fingerprints for a resident insurance license must be submitted electronically. A list of locations where electronic submission is available can be found on the commissioner's web site: www.insurance.wa.gov.
(6) The commissioner will no longer print or mail any document generated as part of a licensing process which the commissioner has determined to be an exclusive on-line licensing process.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.15.015 and 48.17.005. 11-04-067 (Matter No. R 2010-07), § 284-17-055, filed 1/28/11, effective 2/28/11.]