Title of Rule and Other Identifying Information: Card
games, WAC 230-15-685 Restrictions on progressive jackpots.
THIS RULE IS BEING PROPOSED UNDER AN EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS THAT WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR THE AGENCY TO HOLD PUBLIC HEARINGS, PREPARE A SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMIC IMPACT STATEMENT, OR PROVIDE RESPONSES TO THE CRITERIA FOR A SIGNIFICANT LEGISLATIVE RULE. IF YOU OBJECT TO THIS USE OF THE EXPEDITED RULE-MAKING PROCESS, YOU MUST EXPRESS YOUR OBJECTIONS IN WRITING AND THEY MUST BE SENT TO Susan Newer, Rules Coordinator, Washington State Gambling Commission, P.O. Box 42400, Olympia, WA 98504 , AND RECEIVED BY June 17, 2013.
Purpose of the Proposal and Its Anticipated Effects, Including Any Changes in Existing Rules: Clarifies that licensees may connect progressive jackpots offered on the same card game, on multiple tables, within the same licensed card room.
Reasons Supporting Proposal: Currently, licensees are allowed to connect progressive jackpots offered on the same card game, on multiple tables, within the same licensed card room. This amendment merely clarifies such in WAC.
The proposed amendment has been the subject of the agency's rule-making process for more than a year, involving substantial participation by interested parties. The amendment has been part of discussions surrounding a petition for rule change submitted by Galaxy Gaming, a licensed manufacturer, and Rockland Ridge Corporation, a licensed gambling service supplier; filed under WSR 12-05-065 (CR-101), WSR 12-09-045 (CR-102), and WSR 12-20-062 (CR-102 continuance).
At their April 12, 2013, public meeting, the commissioners voted unanimously (4:0) to adopt the proposed amendments to WAC 230-15-685. Unfortunately, the CR-103 filing for this adopted rule change was not filed in a timely fashion and the April 15, 2013, cut off was inadvertently missed.
The intent of this filing is to codify amendment to WAC 230-15-685 that the commissioners unanimously voted to adopt at their April 12, 2013, public meeting, after more than a year of substantial participation by interested parties.
Statutory Authority for Adoption: RCW 9.46.070, 9.46.0282.
Rule is not necessitated by federal law, federal or state court decision.
Name of Proponent: Washington state gambling commission, governmental.
Name of Agency Personnel Responsible for Drafting: Susan Newer, Lacey, (360) 486-3466; Implementation: Dave Trujillo, Interim Director, Lacey, (360) 486-3446; and Enforcement: Mark Harris, Assistant Director, Lacey, (360) 486-3579.
April 17, 2013
AMENDATORY SECTION(Amending Order 608, filed 4/10/07, effective 1/1/08)
WAC 230-15-685 Restrictions on progressive jackpots. House-banked card game licensees operating progressive jackpots must follow these restrictions and procedures:
(1) Progressive jackpot funds must accrue according to the rules of the game; and
(2) At each gambling table, licensees must prominently post the amount of the progressive jackpot that players can win; and
(3) Licensees must record the beginning amount of each progressive jackpot offered, including explanations for any increases or decreases in the prize amount offered. Licensees must keep this documentation with the progressive jackpot records; and
(4) Licensees may establish a maximum limit on a progressive jackpot prize. If licensees establish a limit, they must make the amount equal to, or greater than, the amount of the jackpot when they imposed the limit. They must prominently post a notice of the limit at or near the game; and
(5) Licensees may connect progressive jackpots offered on the same card game on multiple tables within the same licensed location.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 9.46.070. 07-09-033 (Order 608), § 230-15-685, filed 4/10/07, effective 1/1/08.]